Question about Arbuckle features

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Brian Kirkpatrick
Cugine

Question about Arbuckle features

Postby Brian Kirkpatrick » Wed May 26, 2010 7:30 pm

For some reason I always thought that the only Arbuckle feature that still existed was "Leap Year". Then I saw a brief clip from "Brewster's Millions" on YouTube. Now I see that "The Round-Up" will be shown at Slapsticon in July. So now I am wondering, how many of the Arbuckle features are still out there? Is there any chance of any more of them ever making it to DVD? thanks

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: Question about Arbuckle features

Postby Steve Massa » Wed May 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi Brian
I think that's a clip of THE LIFE OF THE PARTY ('20) on youtube. The three that are around and accessible right now are THE ROUND UP ('20), THE LIFE OF THE PARTY ('20) and LEAP YEAR ('21). George Eastman House has a German print of THE TRAVELING SALESMAN ('21) that's in the process of being preserved and restored. There's also rumors that CRAZY TO MARRY ('21) and another feature may be at the Gosfilm Archive in Russia, but it hasn't been 100% confirmed. I've also seen titles listed at other foreign archives that may be chunks of some of the features which haven't been identified yet.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Thu May 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Does something from GASOLINE GUS exist somewhere? For some reason I thought I heard that, but might be mistaken.

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Brent
Yeah, GASOLINE GUS is the other feature with CRAZY TO MARRY that I couldn't remember. The FIAF Treasures database lists them both at the Gosfilmfond in Russia and at the Cinematheque Royale in Brusselles. Doesn't say whether they're on nitrate only or if there are safety prints.

Steve

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Fri May 28, 2010 1:16 am

Brian,

There is a new Arbuckle collection on the horizon which will contain a great deal of previously unavailable footage. The new production is a group effort involving several well known companies, SCM members, private collectors and various film archives around the world. No firm details or timetable yet, I just know that it will not be ready this year. (Before anyone asks -- No, it is not a Laughsmith production. I expect that the new endeavor shall far surpass Laughsmith in quantity, quality and scope.)

This is something about which I am very excited!

-- PG

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri May 28, 2010 1:47 am

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Brian,

There is a new Arbuckle collection on the horizon which will contain a great deal of previously unavailable footage. The new production is a group effort involving several well known companies, SCM members, private collectors and various film archives around the world. No firm details or timetable yet, I just know that it will not be ready this year. (Before anyone asks -- No, it is not a Laughsmith production. I expect that the new endeavor shall far surpass Laughsmith in quantity, quality and scope.)

This is something about which I am very excited!

-- PG

I think I just s*%t my pants.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri May 28, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes.....but are you also excited about the new Arbuckle release?

Gary J.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Fri May 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Great news! (Paul's that is, not Louie's).

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks all! The Arbuckle production and SLAPSTICK ENCYCLOPEDIA Volume II (Yes, this is an official follow up to the first collection from Image) will include rare prints from many sources including top quality materials from Blackhawk and Lobster.

No shortage of new offerings in the pipeline.

-- PG

Jeffrey Nelson
Associate

Postby Jeffrey Nelson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Wow, GREAT news Paul! Thanks for the update on the good stuff in the pipeline, and I hope it won't be too much longer before you can tell us that our long wait for the silent Our Gang film set is over!