RUM AND WALLPAPER (1915)

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Bruce Calvert
Associate

RUM AND WALLPAPER (1915)

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Rum and Wallpaper (1915) is a Keystone comedy that was recently discovered at the Library of Congress. It was previously thought lost, but was recently repatriated to the USA from Australia. The IMDB lists Roscoe Arbuckle and Mabel Normand in the film, but it is clearly in error.

Thanks to George Willeman from the Library of Congress for providing these scans, and Steve Massa, Richard Roberts and Brent Walker identified the actors.

Alice Davenport

Norma Nichols

Harry McCoy

Frank Hayes

Slim Summerville

Charlie Murray

Eddie Nolan

Last edited by Bruce Calvert on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: RUM AND WALLPAPER (1915)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Hey Calvert, Rob Stone had consulted me on this as well! He wanted to know if it was around and worth preserving and I gave him a thumbs up! Get all your credits lined up bofore you go spreading it all over the internet!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Sorry Richard, they didn't give me your name. I've corrected it above.

Mark A Anderson
Cugine

Postby Mark A Anderson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:17 pm

What's the chances of this coming out on DVD? Great images. Thank you.
Mark

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:14 pm

According to George it was just discovered last week and has not been preserved yet. It's a prime candidate for Slapsticon -- but not this year.

Rob Stone
Associate

Postby Rob Stone » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 pm

It is going on the next list for the lab, which means sometime late Fall or early Winter before it is preserved. If it is any good look for it in a ROB'S RARITIES show... if it stinks look for it in one of Brent Walker's SENNETT shows!! Just joking, and hoping it is worth seeing. George Willeman, by the way, is top notch when it comes to making us aware internally of cool things to preserve.

Rob

Phil Posner

Postby Phil Posner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 pm

What do we know about Eddie Nolan? When did he start at Keystone?
Phil

My Chaplin site - www.philposner.com

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Phil Posner wrote:What do we know about Eddie Nolan? When did he start at Keystone?

Phil, the "we" who bought Mack Sennett's Fun Factory (which hopefully is or will be a whole lot of "wes"), know a whole lot about Eddie Nolan, because it's all there -- his many Keystone credits (including a whole lot of Chaplin films), and his biography (the strange, sad tale of the Keystone manslaughterer).

Richard, thanks for giving Rob the thumbs up instead of the thumbs down on saving it. I was afraid he was going to throw it out when he asked me about it a couple of weeks ago and I told him I was 99.9% sure it was going to be a Charlie Murray-starrer instead of an Arbuckle film. (Rob, I'll gladly take your "dregs" on "my" program as long as your rarities program includes a lot of even rarer Keystones you keep turning up!)

Brent

Phil Posner

Postby Phil Posner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Brent Walker wrote:
Phil Posner wrote:What do we know about Eddie Nolan? When did he start at Keystone?

Phil, the "we" who bought Mack Sennett's Fun Factory (which hopefully is or will be a whole lot of "wes"), know a whole lot about Eddie Nolan, because it's all there -- his many Keystone credits (including a whole lot of Chaplin films), and his biography (the strange, sad tale of the Keystone manslaughterer).

Brent

I'd love to have it. Unfortunately, I can't afford the sticker price. Hopefully there will be a soft cover.
Phil

My Chaplin site - www.philposner.com

Eric Stott
Cugine

Postby Eric Stott » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:10 am

McCoy has another of those "Trained nose-hair" mustaches