"Run 'Em Ragged" (1920) with Snub Pollard

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Yair Solan
Associate

"Run 'Em Ragged" (1920) with Snub Pollard

Postby Yair Solan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Does anyone have any information on "Run 'Em Ragged", the 1920 Snub Pollard short that was part of the cache of silent films recently uncovered in New Zealand? IMDb suggests it was directed by Charles Parrott, but as we know that site is not always 100% accurate. Does a synopsis (or credits) survive?

Slapsticon is exactly a week away now - looking forward to seeing everyone there!
THE WORLD OF CHARLEY CHASE
http://www.charley-chase.com

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: "Run 'Em Ragged" (1920) with Snub Pollard

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:56 pm

Yair Solan wrote:Does anyone have any information on "Run 'Em Ragged", the 1920 Snub Pollard short that was part of the cache of silent films recently uncovered in New Zealand? IMDb suggests it was directed by Charles Parrott, but as we know that site is not always 100% accurate. Does a synopsis (or credits) survive?

Slapsticon is exactly a week away now - looking forward to seeing everyone there!

RUN EM RAGGED was shot in early June, 1920, so that tells me it was Alf Goulding at the helm.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Andrew Sholl
Associate

Postby Andrew Sholl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:02 am

Yair - Here's the review from the Moving Picture World, 21 Aug 1920:

"The knockabout scenes are taken for the most part in a park, where Snub and a fat friend get in trouble with pursuing cops. Snub gets out on the lake in a boat with no bottom and two of the cops jump through it from a high bridge. The humor is not exceptionally strong in this, but the action runs along entertainingly."

Also looking forward to seeing everyone in Arlington.

Yair Solan
Associate

Postby Yair Solan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Andrew Sholl wrote:Yair - Here's the review from the Moving Picture World, 21 Aug 1920:

"The knockabout scenes are taken for the most part in a park, where Snub and a fat friend get in trouble with pursuing cops. Snub gets out on the lake in a boat with no bottom and two of the cops jump through it from a high bridge. The humor is not exceptionally strong in this, but the action runs along entertainingly."

Also looking forward to seeing everyone in Arlington.

Thanks Andrew and Richard! I thought it was just slightly too early to be a Parrott-directed Snub short. IMDb is wrong, no surprise there. Would be great to see this one day.

Rob Stone
Associate

Postby Rob Stone » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:27 pm

RUN 'EM RAGGED will run at SLAPSTICON 2011. Either in ROB'S RARITIES or elsewhere during the weekend.

Yair Solan
Associate

Postby Yair Solan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Rob Stone wrote:RUN 'EM RAGGED will run at SLAPSTICON 2011. Either in ROB'S RARITIES or elsewhere during the weekend.

Rob, it has only been a couple of days since the conclusion of SLAPSTICON 2010 and you're already making me anticipate the '11 edition. This is great news - the more Snub, the better. I'm assuming this means that LoC will be getting the print of RUN 'EM RAGGED from New Zealand?

While I'm here, let me extend my thanks to the festival organizers, talented musical accompanists, and enthusiastic attendees that made SLAPSTICON 2010 the best one yet!
THE WORLD OF CHARLEY CHASE
http://www.charley-chase.com