Correcting Yair Solan on FRESH LOBSTER

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Correcting Yair Solan on FRESH LOBSTER

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:07 am

Hey Yair,

I saw over on that other silent comedians forum that you posted some info on FRESH LOBSTER from the Silent Era site. I hate to say it is incorrect as well. FRESH LOBSTER is sort of an mystery film that may have never had a theatrical release, but it was definitely not made in 1928, nor in 1948 as the copyright date on the 16mm home movie release prints indicate. Judging from Billy Bletchers general appearance, the cars seen within the film, and the soundtrack, the film was probably made in the early 1930's, as some sort of amateur or independent project. The quality of the animation is very good, and the film is very professionally made. I've heard of some sort of minor theatrical release in the late 1930's, but have never found actual confirmation of it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Yair Solan
Associate

Re: Correcting Yair Solan on FRESH LOBSTER

Postby Yair Solan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks for the info, Richard. As you say, FRESH LOBSTER really does seem to be somewhat of a mystery film, which is fitting for such a wonderful oddity. I'll post a correction.