3D Focus: Famous Harold Lloyd Scene Converted to 3D

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Bruce Calvert
Associate

3D Focus: Famous Harold Lloyd Scene Converted to 3D

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:15 pm

http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/2011/02/16/fam ... ted-to-3d/

2D – 3D conversion of 1923 famous clock scene from Harold Lloyd’s film classic – Safety Last

The four minute sequence, in which American slapstick comedian and producer Harold Lloyd dangles from a clock tower, was digitally remastered, colorized and converted to 3D by motion picture 2D to 3D conversion company Legend 3D. Harold Lloyd was a huge fan of 3D, taking an estimated 200,000 stereoscopic pictures during his lifetime. His Granddaugher, Suzanne Lloyd approached Legend 3D last year to attempt a 2D – 3D conversion of the scene to honour her legendary grandfather’s work during the International 3D Society’s 2nd Annual Creative Arts Awards on February 9th.

Suzanne Lloyd stated, “The tasteful colorization and 3D conversion that Legend3D has performed on my grandfather’s Safety Last clip has given it new life. Harold Lloyd’s film masterpiece from 1923 has been updated for audiences old and new, preserving the magic and dignity of the original film.”

According to Dr Barry Sandrew, Founder of Legend 3D, the sequence was relatively easy to convert from 2D to 3D. Although they are separate processes, the colorization and conversion were worked on simultaneously and the whole project took just a week to complete. In one of the most famous images from the silent film era, a select few watched Harold Lloyd clutch the hands of a skyscraper clock with traffic rushing below him in glorious 3D.

President of the International 3D Society, Jim Chabin, observed this 3D film conversion as a stride in 3D technology, stating, “Bringing Harold Lloyd back to the screen after almost 100 years is a work of brilliance, precision and 3D magic. Everyone who has seen this piece has reacted with excitement and thrilling pleasure. It’s a work of art and of great movie-making.”

One would naturally assume that only modern digital films could be converted to 3D but the conversion of this 1923 black and white silent film impressed audiences possibly even more than the contemporary 3D being displayed during the ceremony.

Dr Barry Sandrew told 3dfocus.co.uk “If you talk to the president of the i3DS and Suzanne Lloyd they will both tell you the Harold Lloyd scene really was the highlight of that event in terms of what was being displayed in 3D. People really did not expect to see a 1923 clip in color and in 3D. Plus it ‘popped into’ 3D from the original source material. People were amazed and we got more than applause in the end; people were yelling and generally going crazy – it was wonderful.”

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: 3D Focus: Famous Harold Lloyd Scene Converted to 3D

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Total Crap.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 am

From out of the mouth's of babes........

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:From out of the mouth's of babes........

As a writer, I always look for the perfect words to describe what I'm looking at, those immediately came to mind. As well as the thought that one's offspring should never have control of one's work after one is dead.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Phil Posner

Postby Phil Posner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:Total Crap.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

My thoughts exactly (or very close - mine involved a large bovine and his feces).
Phil

My Chaplin site - www.philposner.com

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm

They should work on "Just Imagine" next cause that thing needs a miracle to make it watchable!

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:Total Crap.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

I'm not so certain.

Harold's granddaughter Suzanne would have access to footage from both the foreign and domestic cameras shooting "Safety Last!" so a 3-D model based of that could be VERY cool. (Not that I would know, as my being partially blind in the left eye leaves me with NO depth perception). But I've sure others would LOVE it. And there's no doubt about Lloyd's loving to play with 3D photography, so its all a natural.

However, I dislike the colorization. While I'm a big advocate of tinting PORTRAITS and STILLS of silent film stars -- a common practice of the 1920s -- I'm far less happy to see it being done on the films themselves. Personally, I don't even like tinting on comedies. Always reminds me of that dramatic rubbish Griffith and DeMille were making. If the frame is representative of the color, it looks pretty cheap.

I feel the ONLY classic comedy that has justification for colorization is "Babes in Toyland" -- and only because Stan would have likely approved.

DBP