HER FRIEND THE BANDIT found?

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Bruce Calvert
Associate

HER FRIEND THE BANDIT found?

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:58 pm

Her Friend the Bandit (1914) is Chaplin's one lost film (not counting The Sea Gull.) It was discussed extensively over on SilentComedians.com.

OK, I don't know that much Spanish, but this Argentine website seems to say that film restorer Enrique Bouchard has a copy of Her Friend the Bandit.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?not ... 3&toi=6270

En su afán por obtener toda la colección del actor y director inglés, recuperó dos copias perdidas de Su amigo el bandido y Cruel, cruel, amor .

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: HER FRIEND THE BANDIT found?

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:29 pm

Bruce Calvert wrote:Her Friend the Bandit (1914) is Chaplin's one lost film (not counting The Sea Gull.) It was discussed extensively over on SilentComedians.com.

OK, I don't know that much Spanish, but this Argentine website seems to say that film restorer Enrique Bouchard has a copy of Her Friend the Bandit.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?not ... 3&toi=6270

En su afán por obtener toda la colección del actor y director inglés, recuperó dos copias perdidas de Su amigo el bandido y Cruel, cruel, amor .

Yeah, I saw this as well, but I think like much modern media they got the facts wrong. I remember another piece on Bouchard that said something to that effect that was long discussed on alt.movies.silent a while back, and it turned out that Bouchard was misquoted and hadn't found HER FRIEND THE BANDIT, although he did indeed discover the prints of CRUEL CRUEL LOVE and RECREATION.

It was nice to see Enrique in that video interview still looking well, he's got to be in his eighties.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Chris Snowden
Associate

Postby Chris Snowden » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:24 pm

Has anyone ever researched the British trade magazines to see if Her Friend the Bandit was among the Keystones issued and re-issued over there? If Chaplin was really in it, the ads or reviews would probably say so.

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:36 pm

In the Silentcomedians.com thread that I referenced above, Thierry has confirmed what Richard said in that Bouchard did not find Her Friend the Bandit.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Chris Snowden wrote:Has anyone ever researched the British trade magazines to see if Her Friend the Bandit was among the Keystones issued and re-issued over there? If Chaplin was really in it, the ads or reviews would probably say so.

Chris, I posted this article a year or two ago elsewhere, but here it is again -- a screening of HER FRIEND THE BANDIT in Fairbanks, Alaska, in 1916, with Charlie Chaplin heavily advertised. This was too early for a W.H. reissue, but it may have taken that long for the print to get up there. Maybe its still there, buried under another swimming pool. This article mentions Chaplin and Charlie Murray, not Mabel. I've seen a couple of other trades from 1914 that mention Chaplin and Mabel being in it.