Another copy of ZEPPED found

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Bruce Calvert
Associate

Another copy of ZEPPED found

Postby Bruce Calvert » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:17 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jul ... -junk-shop

Rare Charlie Chaplin film found in junk shop

A man has discovered a short film believed to be part of Zepped, a war-time Charlie Chaplin propaganda movie, among items bought in a second-hand shop

Ben Child
guardian.co.uk, Monday 11 July 2011 11.58 BST
Article history

'Lost' Charlie Chaplin film Zepped
The 'lost' Charlie Chaplin film, Zepped, auctioned at Bonhams. Photograph: Jason Barlow

Brian Hann, 40, found the 35mm nitrate film at the Second Time Around shop in South Shields. The seven-minute footage is part of a first world war propaganda movie titled Zepped which Chaplin filmed in 1917 in an effort to help defuse the terror inspired by Zeppelin bombing raids over London. Last week, what was believed to be the only copy went on sale at Bonhams auction house in London for £100,000.

"When I read about the auction in London, and saw the footage, I realised it was exactly the same as I had picked up at the charity shop," Hann told the Shields Gazette. "I couldn't believe it. The only thing missing is the Zeppelin footage at the start.

"There's Chaplin reading a newspaper while leaning against a tree, then a bathing beauty comes into shot and there's a wartime message about saving food. I'm not greedy, I'm not expecting £100,000 for the film, but it should be worth more than what I paid for it."

Now one of Bonhams' film experts is to examine the footage to authenticate it. Feeling rather less fortunate than Hann is the owner of Second Time Around, Lindsey Whitey.

"I can't believe it," she told the Gazette. "It looks like I will never be a millionaire, but good luck to him. I hope he gets a lot of money for it. I'm no expert on film, I think it was in a box with a load of other stuff. This place is like an Aladdin's Cave."

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Re: Another copy of ZEPPED found

Postby Bruce Calvert » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 pm

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/lifestyle ... _1_3572868

Rare Charlie Chaplin film goes into safe
Published on Wednesday 13 July 2011 07:15

A RARE film of comedy legend Charlie Chaplin bought from a second-hand shop in South Shields is now safely under lock and key.

As reported in Saturday’s Gazette, jobless Brian Hann, 40, couldn’t believe his luck when he stumbled over the 35mm footage from the First World War at Second Time Around in Westoe Road, South Shields.

It is believed the footage – from a promotional film called Zepped – could be worth as much as £100,000.

Now Newcastle-based auctioneers Anderson and Garland are to value the find – and have placed the footage in a safe.

Mr Hann, of Fort Street, South Shields, said: “I’m interested in finding out what figure they come back to me with.”

Mr Hann only paid a small sum for the box, which contained pottery and 35mm footage on a tin reel of Chaplin from 1916.

He was initially unaware he had stumbled on treasure.