WET PAINT (1926) IDs needed

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Bruce Calvert
Associate

WET PAINT (1926) IDs needed

Postby Bruce Calvert » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:06 pm

The cast list for Raymond Griffith's lost comedy Wet Paint (1926) is pretty short. The "other woman" is listed as Natalie Kingston, but I'm not really sure that this is her in the car with Griffith. She was a brunette, and maybe the blonde hair (which could be dyed) is throwing me off. Does this look like her?

As long as I'm asking, I could swear that I've seen the guy on the left in the top hat before, but I just can't place him. Does anybody recognize him?

Robert Arkus
Capo

Re: WET PAINT (1926) IDs needed

Postby Robert Arkus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:53 am

Wonderful stills!! The girl is not Natalie Kingston. Using the cast list from IMDB, she looks to be Helene Costello, Dolores's sister. I'm not sure of the man on the left, it could be a young(er) Henry Kolker, but the cop is Otto Fries.

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:56 am

Robert,
Thanks for the help. It's definitely not Helene Costello. She was the female lead, and I have quite a few stills with her and Griffith.

Raymond Griffith and Helene Costello

Raymond Griffith, unknown, Helene Costello and Bryant Washburn.

The plot of the film is that Griffith is going to get married to Costello, although before the wedding he finds out that she is going to marry him on a bet, not that she actually loves him. So he vows to marry the next woman that he meets instead, and it's Natalie Kingston. Unfortunately, she's already married.

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Here's another photo with the same actress, although you can't see her face nearly as well. Griffith and Costello are in silhouette at left.