'08 Damfinos Convention Recollections

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
R. Joseph Physician
Cugine

'08 Damfinos Convention Recollections

Postby R. Joseph Physician » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:23 pm

With the announcement of the upcoming Damfinos convention '09 in Muskegon MI I started thinking about how much fun I had at last years meet-up.
I invite all that attended to post in this thread and share with everyone your feelings.
Sharing a passion is one of lifes great rewards and to spend 3 days with people who didn't have an agenda other than having fun was a highlight of my life, truly.

This is the view we had from our hotel. Simply freaking beautiful.

Here is a picture of the tee-shirt you could buy only available if you attended the convention. I'm sure you guys know the story of why there is an 'Our' missing from the title but in my next post I'm going to give you my take on Paul's presentation of this newly found film.
If You Do Not See The Name R. Joseph Physician At The Bottom Of The Above Post It Was Not Posted By R. Joseph Physician. Beware Of Imitators.

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Re: '08 Damfinos Convention Recollections

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Great snapshot, Doc. Makes me want to head over there for a little R&R!

As to HOSPITALITY, I just brought the print and discussed where it was found. Not much at all. It was actually Patty Tobias, David Pearson and David MacLeod who really did their homework. The presentations were fantastic and each one nailed down a myriad of previously unknown facts. Fascinating stuff.

I believe that Patty has written an article for the upcoming Keaton Chronicle which details some of their discoveries, and negotiations are underway for some (or all) of that material to be included in a new Keaton DVD release. Details here as they are available.

Sara Ackerman
Cugine

Postby Sara Ackerman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Hey, Doc! Welcome to the group!

Hey, Paul! Thanks for the suggestion.

Last year's convention was the BEST covention I've ever attended--well, except the 2006 convention when I first met Melissa (starry eyed), but I'll discuss that later. :) I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life as I did when we were running around Meijer screaming and laughing our heads off while finding our treasures--oh, and trying to squeeze into Aurelia's mini-Cooper with Doc and Tim Hart sitting in the backseat--and staying up until 2:30am Thursday talking about everything from Arbuckle to Jack, Paul and Tim (and possibly Bill) talking about their cats.

Or maybe it was Friday afternoon when Paul was being cornered by Nico at the train depot (evil smile), or maybe it was the excitement from watching the film Paul "saved", Hospitality for the first (and hopefully not last) time at the beautiful Frauenthal, and the "gab fest" held afterwards back at Shoreline.

Maybe it was taking Marie's quiz Saturday morning. I'll bet it was Dale Duffy's presentation and the wonderful film she, too, "saved", which was a treat. Possibly it was getting all gussied up for the Buster films showing at the Frauenthal, and the wonderful Speakeasy afterwards. Perhaps it was the afterwards chat we had back at the Shoreline, where I stayed up until 3:30am! That was way too late for me! :)

Maybe it was our Sunday lunch, where we laughed ourselves sick at the Holiday Inn talking about I-don't-remember-what-now-but-it-made-me-almost-blue-in-the-face-then. I know it wasn't the sad goodbyes we always have to make when we leave the Shoreline.

Did I leave anything out? ;D

Sara

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:17 am

Sara Ackerman wrote:Did I leave anything out? ;D

Sara

Yes, any sense of meaning for anyone who didn't attend.

R. Joseph Physician
Cugine

Postby R. Joseph Physician » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Louie Despres wrote:
Sara Ackerman wrote:Did I leave anything out? ;D

Sara

Yes, any sense of meaning for anyone who didn't attend.

Ohh, but if you were there Louie, if you were there.

Sara, I forgot about the ride to the store for libations!!! What a tight fit.
I got Jack black, what did you guys get?
Remember Paul pulling out his Roscoe photo album to share with us?? It was really cool flipping through that collection of never before seen photos and postcards.

True story, 2 months after the con I travel to Tucson to see the family. My grandma gives me her scrapbooks of clippings and magizines from the 30's and 40's. As a kid she collected and cared enough to keep them all these years.
In the middle of one of the clipped newspaper ladened photo albums there is a large font newspaper headline........'FATTY ARBUCKLE DEAD'. She kept the whole article.
I should scan it and post it, I think you guys and guyettes would appriciate it.
She is 90 years old now and still quicker than I am. She remembers seeing 'The Black Pirate' projected with organ.

Before I leave I must admit a bit of a crush on Sara A. Her knowledge excited me in ways I........yeah, I'm going to stop talking now.
If You Do Not See The Name R. Joseph Physician At The Bottom Of The Above Post It Was Not Posted By R. Joseph Physician. Beware Of Imitators.

Sara Ackerman
Cugine

Postby Sara Ackerman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 pm

I'd like to see the Arbuckle article. I think Paul and the rest of the gang would be okay with you posting it.

While you were on one side of the store (with Tim?), Paul, Brittany, Patty, Aurelia and I were gathering posterboard and glitter pens so Brittany could make Buster's granddaughter a 'We Miss You' card, and some drinks and snacks.

I really enjoyed looking through Paul's Arbuckle photo albums, and can't wait for his book on Arbuckle to be published. I'll be fighting my way through the line of Damfinos to get the first copy. ;D

Sara

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:56 pm

All I could remember of the event was that I was so tired and stressed, and I wanted it to go perfectly -- and it was only about 99 percent so.

Sigh.

DBP

Sara Ackerman
Cugine

Postby Sara Ackerman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 pm

David,

The event was 100% perfect. I don't think there was ever a dull moment. Even Nico's endless questions made the convention even more interesting.

Sara

R. Joseph Physician
Cugine

Postby R. Joseph Physician » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:13 pm

Sara Ackerman wrote:David,

The event was 100% perfect. I don't think there was ever a dull moment. Even Nico's endless questions made the convention even more interesting.

Sara

I remember more comment/opinion than questions but relished his enthusiasm.