Rare silent comedy shorts found

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
ralph celentano
Associate

Rare silent comedy shorts found

Postby ralph celentano » Mon May 21, 2012 1:42 am

Just acquired 3 original silent prints.

1. Jack Frost - 1923 Roach Pollard 1R short directed by Charley Chase

2. No Vacancies - Copyright 12-1921; Released 1923 - Jack Duffy 2R - title know known

3. Clunked on a Corner - 1929 - Johnny Berkes & Vernon Dent 2R
Last edited by ralph celentano on Tue May 22, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Rare silent comedy shorts found

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon May 21, 2012 3:34 am

ralph celentano wrote:Just acquired 3 original silent prints.

2. Unknown title - 1924? Jack Duffy 2R

Hey Ralph, just askin, but are you capable of posting anything that isn't just you crowin' about whatever you just bought on ebay or wherever? It's gettin' kinda one-note around here.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon May 21, 2012 11:02 am

What's the plot of the Duffy movie? Any other recognizable cast members? There are more than a few folks on this board that could ID it for you.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Mon May 21, 2012 11:18 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:
ralph celentano wrote:Just acquired 3 original silent prints.

2. Unknown title - 1924? Jack Duffy 2R

Hey Ralph, just askin, but are you capable of posting anything that isn't just you crowin' about whatever you just bought on ebay or wherever? It's gettin' kinda one-note around here.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Sorry I don't, I wish I could. I thought the group would be interested in the finds.
If not, I don't need to post anything. Thanks for the insulting remark.
Last edited by ralph celentano on Mon May 21, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Mon May 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Cast credits appear in this order.

1. Charlotte Merriam
2. Margarete Cullington
3. Jack Duffy
4. Eddie Baker
5. Jay Belasco
6. Jack Ackroyd

Blanche Payson is billed later on a subtitle.

There's no place like home
- but nowadays try to rent one (opening title card)

Plot A young couple looking for a home, get a job as janitor and maid in a ritzy apt building in order to get a tenant to leave.
Last edited by ralph celentano on Thu May 24, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Flood
Cugine

Postby Frank Flood » Mon May 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Ralph –

The Jack Duffy title sounds like one of the Speed Comedies released by Arrow in 1921-22. This unit, headed by Reggie Morris, started making comedies for Special Pictures Corporation. When Special fell apart, the unit (including performers Neely Edwards, Charlotte Merriam, Margaret Cullington Fitzroy, Jack Duffy and Eddie Baker) formed a sort of co-op and moved to Arrow release. They were filmed at the Berwilla and the Hampton studios at various times. Neely Edwards eventually moved on, and the leading male role was assumed (at least in some titles) by Jay Belasco. Possible titles for your film might be THE JANITOR’S WIFE or NO VACANCIES.

And, as for the films you acquire, we all would like to see screen grabs or hear who are in them or named in the credits. I didn’t know Blanche Payson was in a Speed Comedy. Now I do.

Frank

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Frank Flood wrote:Ralph –

The Jack Duffy title sounds like one of the Speed Comedies released by Arrow in 1921-22. This unit, headed by Reggie Morris, started making comedies for Special Pictures Corporation. When Special fell apart, the unit (including performers Neely Edwards, Charlotte Merriam, Margaret Cullington Fitzroy, Jack Duffy and Eddie Baker) formed a sort of co-op and moved to Arrow release. They were filmed at the Berwilla and the Hampton studios at various times. Neely Edwards eventually moved on, and the leading male role was assumed (at least in some titles) by Jay Belasco. Possible titles for your film might be THE JANITOR’S WIFE or NO VACANCIES.

And, as for the films you acquire, we all would like to see screen grabs or hear who are in them or named in the credits. I didn’t know Blanche Payson was in a Speed Comedy. Now I do.

Frank

I tried uploading pictures several times here & on Nitrateville. Message received was file to big.

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Mon May 21, 2012 4:19 pm

ralph celentano wrote:
Frank Flood wrote:Ralph –

Frank

I tried uploading pictures several times here & on Nitrateville. Message received was file to big.

Thanks for the info Frank.

THE JANITOR'S WIFE is on the IMDB and lists Eddie Barry in the cast. Eddie Baker is in this short not Barry.

NO VACANCIES sounds logical for the title. Any idea what year? IMDB does not list it.

Frank Flood
Cugine

Postby Frank Flood » Mon May 21, 2012 4:44 pm

I do not know release dates for these titles, but NO VACANCIES was copyrighted on 12/27/21 and THE JANITOR'S WIFE on 4/13/22, so that gives a feeling for the timeframe. It is certainly possible that Eddie Barry also appeared in non-Neely Edwards Speed Comedies. Barry was also appearing in Broadway Comedies released by Arrow in the same season for another producer, and he did bounce around. That would eliminate THE JANITOR'S WIFE. Then again, iMDB is not always accurate.

Frank

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon May 21, 2012 5:54 pm

NO VACANCIES can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5yvtAj8FrU

RICHARD M ROBERTS