SLAPSTICON Returns in 2013!

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

SLAPSTICON Returns in 2013!

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun May 27, 2012 4:13 am

Hey Gang,

We broke the news at my Charley Chase show at Cinevent yesterday, so I thought I’d better let you know first thing here and now the big story:

SLAPSTICON returns in 2013 at its new venue at the University Theatre at Indiana University in Bloomington, June 27-30, 2013!

This is VERY recent news, and we’ll be updating the website and posting Hotel Reservation Information, Programming Information, and all sorts of other goodies as soon as possible. But start planning next Summers Festival Season with Slapsticon now. The University Theater at IU is a fabulous place to watch movies, and the Campus and Hotel at IU’s Student Union will be very nice and hospitable places to stay up and discuss Billy Franey and Milburn Morante into the wee hours. Hope to see you there.

Much More to Come, stay tuned!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: SLAPSTICON Returns in 2013!

Postby Steve Massa » Sun May 27, 2012 11:47 am

Hot dog!! Great news.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun May 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Some of the folks over on FaceBook have been asking about this recently so I just linked it over there...

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 am

Sounds great! Hopefully I can make it!

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Ah, wonderful news at last! It's a long drive from the wilds of New Jersey, but what the heck!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu May 31, 2012 4:00 am

I had to chuckle today at that other minor silent comedy newsgroup where I had to get someone to remove my words regarding the return of Slapsticon that they had permissionlessly posted there. The spineless weasel who runs that group (who remains nameless on it and will so here as well) took umbrage that I will not allow my words to improve the quality of that inconsequential site.

He also took umbrage at my calling his minor silent comedy newsgroup a minor silent comedy newsgroup, wondering why I hadn’t gotten over the “hurt” by now (this coming from a guy whose newsgroup still deletes the word “mafia” and replaces it with
“ 12345”).

He then went on to state that he felt it was a great accomplishment that he had created a newsgroup that brought together comedy fans from across the World in an environment where they could freely speak their minds without fear of ever being told they're wrong and not worry about someone with "attitude" telling them that they were idiots for their opinions (a protection that a number of the surviving members of that group apparently require).

He then praised Myself, Rob Farr, and Kathy (Kathy? Nobody named Kathy involved with putting on Slapsticon, fine grasp of the facts he has), and welcomes me to send him all info regarding Slapsticon so he can publicize it to the multitudinous hordes who read his minor silent comedy newsgroup.

Friends, do not expect that group to be publishing any up-to-the-minute information on Slapsticon.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Thu May 31, 2012 8:36 am

The first Slapsticon was in '03 so next year's fest will be an anniversary of sorts, even tho it hasn't always been an annual event. What the heck? We'll have an extra drink to toast Slapsticon at 10 anyway.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Thu May 31, 2012 2:43 pm

This is going to be great! I'll finally get to meet Kathy.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu May 31, 2012 6:08 pm

Kathy fell into a vat of nitrate solution.
I'm afraid she won't be able to make it...

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Here's some info and a look at the University Theater at Indiana University. I think you're all going to like this place:

http://www.cinema.indiana.edu/about/

And the website for the Biddle Hotel at IU's Student Union, just a very short and pleasant jaunt to and from the theater:

http://www.imu.indiana.edu/hotel/Accomm ... ions.shtml

RICHARD M ROBERTS