Mystery Comedy Film Crowd shot

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Mystery Comedy Film Crowd shot

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Okay Gang, here’s a contest for you:

Here is a candid still of a crowd scene, can you identify the comedy it comes from, and how many of the people in it:

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... yStill.jpg

We know the answer, but whomever gets it first online here will be the Official Cool Silent Comedy Mafian for the week.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: Mystery Comedy Film Crowd shot

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:15 am

Looks like the upper peanut gallery from Chaplin's A NIGHT IN THE SHOW ('15). I spotted John Rand, Leo White (in blackface), Frank J. Coleman, James T. Kelly, Paddy McGuire, Harry DeRoy, Dan Albert, and Dee Lampton (in drag), but I don't see Mr. Rowdy.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:37 pm

And Steve wins the Kewpie Doll! And the brass plaque declaring him COOLEST MAFIAN OF THE WEEK!

Except Dee Lampton's not in drag, he's sitting in his costume as the kid on the left in the second to top row. Which begs the question, who is the fat lady? And you missed the fellow sitting between Coleman and McGuire!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Massa wrote:Looks like the upper peanut gallery from Chaplin's A NIGHT IN THE SHOW ('15). I spotted John Rand, Leo White (in blackface), Frank J. Coleman, James T. Kelly, Paddy McGuire, Harry DeRoy, Dan Albert, and Dee Lampton (in drag), but I don't see Mr. Rowdy.

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Oh yeah, Mr. Bud Jamison sitting between Coleman and McGuire. This is a wonderful shot Richard - where'd it turn up?

Phil Posner

Postby Phil Posner » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Steve Massa wrote:Oh yeah, Mr. Bud Jamison sitting between Coleman and McGuire. This is a wonderful shot Richard - where'd it turn up?

I think that's Lawrence A. Bowes next to Leo White. The fat lady might be May White.
Phil

My Chaplin site - www.philposner.com

Phil Posner

Postby Phil Posner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 am

Phil Posner wrote:
Steve Massa wrote:Oh yeah, Mr. Bud Jamison sitting between Coleman and McGuire. This is a wonderful shot Richard - where'd it turn up?

I think that's Lawrence A. Bowes next to Leo White. The fat lady might be May White.

I was wrong there - it's John Rand, now that I look more closely. It might be Bowes in the second row, extreme left.
Phil

My Chaplin site - www.philposner.com

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 am

And of course, there's John Wayne sitting right behind Lloyd Hamilton.

Robert Moulton
Cugine

Postby Robert Moulton » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 pm

At last, confirmation that Chaplin taught Wayne his walk.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Harry Langdon's widow Mabel actually knew Duke Morrison back in the twenties, they both attended the same cotillion dance parties. If the John Wayne loonies knew that in advance, I'm sure they would've come up with another doozy of a story.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)