MOSTLY LOST

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Rob Stone
Associate

MOSTLY LOST

Postby Rob Stone » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 pm

The final report on the Silent Film Archaeology workshop is forthcoming. We identified 50% give or take a percentage point. Additional good news the dates for next year's workshop MOSTLY LOST: SILENT FILM ARCHAEOLOGY 2 have been set and approved. Look for an announcement soon.

Rob

David Denton
Capo

Re: MOSTLY LOST

Postby David Denton » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 pm

I can't wait. I had a great time this year. Great company, great music, a good mix of genres, hard-working staff. Too bad it's only once a year.

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:52 am

I second all of David's motions - it was fantastic. Thanks again to Rob, Rachel and the Mt. Pony staff for all the hard work in putting it together.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 pm

That's a rather woebegone workshop title you folks are working under -- MOSTLY LOST.
How about a more promising designation? -- NOT ACTUALLY RECOVERED AS OF THIS MOMENT.

Rob Stone
Associate

Postby Rob Stone » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:45 am

Oh, I think our workshop, especially the title, are very promising. We were able to identify half of what was shown and add crucial information to many more that will lead to their identification or at least increased viewing. But many, many films are extant yet hidden because of lack of title or even, in some cases when a title is known, by being made by a minor company or "lesser" stars. While we lament "lost films" we can celebrate those films that are only "mostly lost" since we can view and enjoy them and hopefully bring them back their identity. The title is a tip of the hat to that scene in THE PRINCESS BRIDE when Billy Crystal comments that the body brought to him was only "mostly dead." But just like Westley wasn't dead, these films are not lost... only put in that apparent state by time, neglect and ignorance. Our job, markedly successful to this point, is to continue to resurrect as many as possible.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:41 pm

That wanna-be Python film, THE PRINCESS BRIDE, strikes again.

Rob Stone
Associate

Postby Rob Stone » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Can't think of much anything better than wanting to be Python!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:That wanna-be Python film, THE PRINCESS BRIDE, strikes again.

Wanna-Be Python film my ass! THE PRINCESS BRIDE is probably the last good honest childrens film I can recall seeing, and wanna-be Python sure beats anything the actual surviving Python Boys have done together since the early 80's. Basically, apart from re-warmed versions of past successes for Broadway, and the occasional anniversarial hoo-hah where, amidst some whining and usual chicanery, the Python Boys have actually managed to show up in a room together for an hour or two so folks could throw money at them without them actually doing much, that collaboration hasn't borne any genuine fruit since THE MEANING OF LIFE. Wasted some time watching the Oratorio version of LIFE OF BRYAN this weekend that Eric Idle put together so all but John Cleese could sell out the Royal Albert Hall and reap a lot more cash for their 40th Anniversary, that was an hour and a half I'll bever get back.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Well Richard, It is not exactly a slam to call a film 'a wanna-be' -- unless the phrase used is 'wanna-be Adam Sandler...'. Then you need to call the Taste Police. Think of it as a back-handed compliment. There are so many fine films out there roaming around the circuit, trying to get noticed, experiencing life for the first time, getting into trouble............that you can't blame them if some of them aspire to a higher plane. I enjoy the PRINCESS BRIDE as much as the next guy -- unless the next guy happens to be you because it sounds like you have this film placed on a pedestal like a holy grail (Say! That's a funny movie......). I was merely referencing the fact that a group of American filmmakers were making an overt British comedy with an American cast. And they succeed quite well, actually. It's eccentric and dry and quirky. They even brought in Peter Cook and Mel Smith to hammer home the idea. But watching Billy Crystal enact a sketch straight out of The Goon Show reminds me of those weird episodes of SNL when Palin & Idle would host and suddenly that cast of American and Canadian satirical smart-asses were trying to act all droll and ironic and peculiar in every sketch.

The end results became quite beguiling.......

I'm sorry. What were we talking about?

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:10 am

Richard M. Roberts wrote:
Wanna-Be Python film my ass! THE PRINCESS BRIDE is probably the last good honest childrens film I can recall seeing, and wanna-be Python sure beats anything the actual surviving Python Boys have done together since the early 80's. Basically, apart from re-warmed versions of past successes for Broadway, and the occasional anniversarial hoo-hah where, amidst some whining and usual chicanery, the Python Boys have actually managed to show up in a room together for an hour or two so folks could throw money at them without them actually doing much, that collaboration hasn't borne any genuine fruit since THE MEANING OF LIFE. Wasted some time watching the Oratorio version of LIFE OF BRYAN this weekend that Eric Idle put together so all but John Cleese could sell out the Royal Albert Hall and reap a lot more cash for their 40th Anniversary, that was an hour and a half I'll bever get back.

I have to confess that I am looking forward to ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING; A Python Sci-Fi movie sounds promising, and I'm hoping funnier than the operatic version of BRIAN.

In deference to the title of this thread, congratulations to Rob on identifying half the lot. A second workshop sounds very wise indeed.