So long, MCW!

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

So long, MCW!

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:22 am

From the Movie Collector's World website:

MONDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2012

MCW SOLD TO CLASSIC IMAGES

Movie Collector’s World (MCW) has been sold and will be merged into the premiere monthly movie memorabilia publication for movie enthusiasts, CLASSIC IMAGES (CI).

Under the terms of the agreement, currently active paid MCW subscribers will receive each monthly issue of CI for the length of their MCW subscription term. If subscribers already receive CI, their CI subscription will be extended the appropriate number of issues.

A number of people whose MCW subscriptions had expired continued to receive the publication on a complimentary basis. They will receive a few sample copies of CI and then be offered a paid subscription.

The first issue of Classic Images to be mailed to MCW subscribers will be the December, 2012 issue, mailing out mid-November.

MCW was started as “Film Collector’s World” in 1976 by Alan Light. It later was sold in a package deal to Krause Publications, then finally to Arena Publishing in 1985. By this time “FCW’ became “MCW” with less of an emphasis on film collecting and more on video and paper memorabilia. Under Arena Publishing, MCW blossomed into bi-weekly issues often exceeding 120 pages, with an increased emphasis on movie poster collectibles. Eventually, MCW turned into a monthly publication, but never lost it’s focus to serve readers and movie buffs with dependability and affordability.

Now, MCW will be merged into Classic Images, which reigns as the one and only publication for fans of film, video, movie posters and all sorts of related memorabilia. Published for 50 years, CI, under the guidance of editor Bob King, continues to grow, a rarity for any publication in the era of the internet.

Brian Bukantis, MCW’s publisher since 1985 relates, “I’d like to thank every writer, contributor, advertiser, and most importantly, subscriber, for the past 27 years! I’ve seen so many changes in the business of publishing and the hobby of collecting, but one thing that’s remained constant is the passion of our readers. For their support, I’m very grateful.”

“I’m glad we’ve found a good home for MCW. I know that Bob King and his very capable crew at Classic Images really care about the hobby. They’ve done great things with Classic over the years, growing it tremendously.... I’m sure they’ll continue to serve movie memorabilia collectors in a first-class way.”

Bob King, CI’s editor and general manner, states “Classic Images is looking forward to serving all MCW readers and advertisers. Like MCW, CI is a monthly newspaper read around the world by serious movie collectors. Many of you are already familiar with us and our sister publication ‘Films of the Golden Age,’ but many of you are not. Like Brian Bukantis, we want to serve you while doing our best to promote the hobby that we all love. These are very volatile times with changes coming rapidly, but for the last 50 years, CI has been guided by a dedication to learn new ways to serve our customers. We hope that anyone with questions or suggestions will contact us. And now, we join all MCW readers and advertisers in congratulating and thanking Brian Bukantis for his decades of service to the hobby. No one else has done more for movie collectors than Brian. We at CI can only hope to be worthy of his legacy as we work to gain the trust and support of all MCW readers and advertisers.”

------------------------------------------------

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: So long, MCW!

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:02 pm

I wonder if CI is aware of the fact that their publication is rarely carried at any news kiosks anymore?

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:I wonder if CI is aware of the fact that their publication is rarely carried at any news kiosks anymore?

Are there even news kiosks anymore? Only "newstands" left are at Barnes & Noble.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:08 pm

There's one still standing in Trenton, NJ, but you take your life in your hands patronizing it.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Thomas Reeder wrote:There's one still standing in Trenton, NJ, but you take your life in your hands patronizing it.

I saw a lovely, nearly block-long news and magazine stand in Los Angeles just a day or two ago, right across the street from Canters Deli and near the Silent Movie Theater on Fairfax. There's also an indoor one in Flagstaff, Arizona that's part of a Tobacconist's shop.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:I saw a lovely, nearly block-long news and magazine stand in Los Angeles just a day or two ago, right across the street from Canters Deli and near the Silent Movie Theater on Fairfax.

Good to hear that one's still around!

Anyone know if the one at Cahuenga & Hollywood (to the immediate north of Buster Keaton's COPS alley) is still in operation?

Michael

Jim Reid
Cugine

Postby Jim Reid » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:26 am

There was one on the street just to the east of the Egyptian Theater.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Right across the street from Miceli's. It's hours seemed to become more erratic through the years and was rarely opened whenever I passed by.