Lost Oliver Hardy film lost no more!

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Rob Stone
Associate

Lost Oliver Hardy film lost no more!

Postby Rob Stone » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Today FedEx delivered four barrels of nitrate purchased by the Library of Congress from a private collector in Suffolk, United Kingdom. Included in the shipment was the previously thought to be lost Oliver Hardy film, AN EXPENSIVE VISIT (Lubin, 1915). Always a good day to be able to add back onto the extant list any film, but it is always a bit more special when it features Babe Hardy.

It should be noted that the purchase was made possible due to the work of leading Laurel & Hardy solo film expert David Wyatt. He made us aware of the potential sale, and when the deal was made he transported the films to the British Film Institute (who helped facilitate the shipment to the U.S.).

More on this title in the near future...

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Lost Oliver Hardy film lost no more!

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:20 pm

If this keeps up you may be forced to revise your book.

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:34 am

Great news! Was there any other lost footage in the cache?

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:02 am

Gary Johnson wrote:If this keeps up you may be forced to revise your book.

I bought your book upon publication and it's an indispensable reference tool as well as an enjoyable read. But seriously Rob, with all the discoveries and rare material you have located over the past 15 years, is there any chance you will be updating your book? You know we will buy it!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Rob Stone
Associate

Postby Rob Stone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:07 am

I am in the middle of finishing up another (somewhat related) study, another year or so. After that I will be working on a revision of the L or H book. Floated the idea past David Wyatt a year or so ago and I believe he will again provide assistance. Also currently working on another LAUREL OR HARDY project that should see the light of day sometime next year. That, the regular Moving Image Curator work at LOC, next year's MOSTLY LOST workshop, a couple of leads on more nitrate and keeping up on Tetris Battle on Facebook.... keeping busy.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:11 pm

Rob Stone wrote:I am in the middle of finishing up another (somewhat related) study, another year or so. After that I will be working on a revision of the L or H book. Floated the idea past David Wyatt a year or so ago and I believe he will again provide assistance. Also currently working on another LAUREL OR HARDY project that should see the light of day sometime next year. That, the regular Moving Image Curator work at LOC, next year's MOSTLY LOST workshop, a couple of leads on more nitrate and keeping up on Tetris Battle on Facebook.... keeping busy.

All great news, looking forward to it all -- and thank you!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)