Samuel K. Rubin (1918 - 2009)

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Samuel K. Rubin (1918 - 2009)

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Just received the following from Steve Haynes regarding the passing of Sam Rubin. Truly a great loss. Thankfully, future generations of film buffs will continue to benefit from his many contributions and creations.

-- PG

I have heard from Jay Rubin that his father, Samuel K. Rubin, died on June 26, 2009. His funeral will be in Indiana, Pa. on Wednesday, July 1. Visitation will occur on Tuesday from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and on Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. Services will be at funeral home, Bence-Mihalcik at 11:00 a.m. followed by graveside services at Oakland Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to Beth Israel Synagogue, S. 5th and Washington Streets, Indiana, Pa 15701; Penn's Woods Council, BSA, memorial fund, 201 W. High Street, Ste. 1, Ebensberg, PA 15931, or a charity of the donor's choice.

If you have a favorite charity devoted to film preservation, that would certainly be a fitting choice.

While some younger classic film buffs may not recognize the name, Sam Rubin, and his enthusiasm for (especially) silent classics led directly to his role as the creator of Classic Images magazine (first known as The 8mm Collector, then Classic Film Collector,) He was, with help and support of fellow fans, founder of the Society for Cinephiles and the still running Cinecon annual film convention. These actions ultimately led to the origin of Cinevent, Cinefest (Syracuse), Cinesation (Saginaw, Bay City, now Massillon, Ohio) and who knows which other fan events. Leonard Maltin credits Sam for publishing his first written article (when Leonard was 13!)

When I first met Sam over 40 years ago (I'm not sure at this point, but it was probably at MY first Cinecon in Dearborn, Michigan) he was younger than I am now. During the developing years of Cinevent, his support through Classic Film Collector and occasional phone conversations and meetings at other shows, were a great help to me, John Baker, John Stingley and Art Graves. When Sam retired from an active role in the classic film community, his influence remained, and while maybe not obvious to "newercomers," continues.

Fortunately, Sam put together a book: Moving Pictures and Classic Images: Memories of Forty Years in the Vintage Film Hobby. It's partially made up of writings from his over 300 issue tenure at Classic Images and its forerunners, and partially, as the title indicates, reminiscence of his life in film. (It was published by McFarland and you can find it at Amazon and the other usual book sources.)

Many of you have asked me over the years how Cinevent began - that's covered in the book as is much more. Sam presents the broader picture of the "Vintage Film Hobby" mostly in his own written voice, which old-timers will remember and which the rest of you will likely find enlightening and entertaining. I recommend it - it's our history, from our founding father!

Steve Haynes