Is this really Max?

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David Denton
Capo

Is this really Max?

Postby David Denton » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 pm

I just watched UN IDIOT QUI SE CROIT MAX LINDER (An Idiot who thinks he's Max Linder)
http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY/51 ... max_linder

on the Europa Film Treasures site. Of course, the titles are in German. EFT and IMBD say it's Max playing 'Max' I don't think it is. EFT says it was made by Comica directed by Romeo Bosetti (who plays himself in the film). IMBD says it's by Pathe co-directed by Bosetti and Lucien Nonguet (one of Max's usual directors). I think Pathe as producer makes more sense, as there is an extract from MAX PEDICURE, and outside the theater, a poster of Max and of Rigadin as well. Was it made after Max left Pathe? Were they trading on his name?
Are there any Linder experts who can tell?

Thanks,
David

FYI- the titles are translated into English.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Is this really Max?

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:18 am

My notes show it as Pathe', and I indeed doubt that Pathe would have allowed footage from MAX PEDICURE to be used in another studios films. I also notice in that Europa print that the word Comica appears only on the opening title, a series name? the German release company? a reissue company?

Linder does not appear in the film except in the clip from MAX PEDICURE.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: Is this really Max?

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi guys
Comica was a unit of Pathe's from about 1910 to 1914, that was located in Nice and headed by Romeo Bosetti. They turned out the "Little Moritz" shorts with Maurice Schwartz and Sarah Duhamel, the "Bigorno's" with Rene Lantini, the "Rosalie's" with a solo Sarah Duhamel, and "Leontine" with a bratty little girl. It's great to see Bosetti playing himself, but I have no idea who's playing "the idiot who thinks he's Max Linder."