Victoria Forde

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Paul F Etcheverry
Cugine

Victoria Forde

Postby Paul F Etcheverry » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:37 pm

Watched a Nestor comedy, directed by Eddie Lyons and written by Al Christie, at Niles last weekend. Victoria Forde starred as "Lizzie" in Lizzie's Dizzy Career, with Lyons as her bumpkin boyfriend and Lee Moran as a butt-kicking director.

I found Forde an enjoyably goofy comic actress in this 1915 film. What's the story on her?

Brent Walker
Capo

Re: Victoria Forde

Postby Brent Walker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi Paul, I guess I just missed you--I was there all weekend but had to leave to get home Sunday before the last program (I would've loved to see the Nestors).

Victoria Forde was one of the early Universal comedy leads, and the daughter of Eugenie Forde who also worked at early Universal. Victoria also worked briefly at Keystone in 1912. She married Tom Mix in 1915 and
appeared in many of his Fox films before retiring a few years later. They divorced in the 1930's. Bob Birchard's King Cowboy has a bit about her.

I'll try to post something about the Broncho Billy Festival films I saw when I get a chance. Unfortunately, the day after I got back home, my car got broken into and a briefcase stolen that included my Broncho Billy Festival program (and some notes I made).

Paul F Etcheverry
Cugine

Postby Paul F Etcheverry » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:47 pm

Alas, due to a combination of scheduling conflicts, "stuff happening" and, oops, human error on my part, I missed much of the Broncho Billy Festival and didn't arrive until Sunday afternoon.

Considered Victoria Forde's comic bits and ditzy charm in Lizzie's Dizzy Career the highpoint of the Sunday night show. Having seen way too many comedies in my life, I watched Foolish WIves and wished there was some way Raymond Griffith (who wouldn't star in features until a couple of years later) could have co-starred as a rival cad/swindler.

Sorry about your car, Brent - that bites! When can we buy your Sennett Studio book?

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Paul F Etcheverry wrote:Alas, due to a combination of scheduling conflicts, "stuff happening" and, oops, human error on my part, I missed much of the Broncho Billy Festival and didn't arrive until Sunday afternoon.

Considered Victoria Forde's comic bits and ditzy charm in Lizzie's Dizzy Career the highpoint of the Sunday night show. Having seen way too many comedies in my life, I watched Foolish WIves and wished there was some way Raymond Griffith (who wouldn't star in features until a couple of years later) could have co-starred as a rival cad/swindler.

Sorry about your car, Brent - that bites! When can we buy your Sennett Studio book?

I haven't been given a release date by McFarland yet, but will definitely post it when I received one!

Andrew Sholl
Associate

Postby Andrew Sholl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:12 pm