Richard M.Roberts Banned from Nitrateville

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Richard M.Roberts Banned from Nitrateville

Postby Louie Despres » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:35 am

Richard, you're missing more stupid comments by entredeuxguerres over at Nitratevile. In a discussion about "The Vagabond King", he makes this statement about the print:

"the thought that a restored print molders in a university archive disgusts & enrages me."

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Louie Despres wrote:Richard, you're missing more stupid comments by entredeuxguerres over at Nitratevile. In a discussion about "The Vagabond King", he makes this statement about the print:

"the thought that a restored print molders in a university archive disgusts & enrages me."

Gad, Nitratevile has gone so boring I hardly look over there much these days. That Entrederriere’ fellow has his head so far up his ass it sticks out his neck again. Just another consuming blowhard who hasn’t actually lifted a finger in terms of actual work for film preservation and couldn’t do it if he tried. He and that Ed Lasshole fellow contribute nothing to the World except whines and misinformation, and they are the standard and very-low average for that sad little newsgroup these days.

THE VAGABOND KING has been available to anyone who might have made a bit of an effort to go see it, and, apart from Lillian Roth and Jeanette MacDonald in some hot costumes is a total snoozefest, so totally indicative of their pathetic tastes if they think it’s a classic. Entrederriere assumes the restoration was publically funded (it wasn’t), and then had a nice meltdown when you called him on it, even mentioning our fine group in passing as somewhere that makes him woozy in it’s rough and tumble language (gets the smelling salts Nellie! Entrederriere’ is feeling faint!). Even Eric Stott, who apparently can be bullied by osmosis, seems to have found the gumption to say he has had enough of him.

Lets see, a quick look at Nitratevile today reveals a few winners, Gebert decries the John Wayne Lone Star/Monograms as “camp” and not really worth watching, when it appears he has not actually seen many. They’re actually a solid B Western series, where Director Robert Bradbury, Yakima Canutt, and Wayne developed the more realistic way to stage fight scenes, the casts are terrific, and were one of the things that solidified Waynes popularity with the rural American audiences that helped make him a major when John Ford “discovered” him for STAGECOACH.

A nameless one thinks NOSFERATU overrated, with terrible sags in the middle. Hmmmm, maybe of it’s Shepard slo-moed into oblivion, but at 22 fps where it should be run it comes in a a little over an hour, and one of the creepiest vampire films ever made.

Oh, and Jimmy Stewart wasn’t much of an actor.

I wonder if Gebert knows how many in the actual Film Preservation, Archival and Film History Community think his little newsgroup is a total joke these days.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Lets see, a quick peek at Nitratevile nonsense revealed some more silly fun, John Aldrich explaining to Entrederriere’ the pleasures and personal resonance of audience film viewing rather than sitting home alone (that Aldrich is such a people person). I also find it hilarious how Entrederriere’, such a professed Opera buff, cannot understand how the shared experience brightens a film, a performance, or live theatre (he must just stay home barricaded in his hovel playing Jeanette MacDonald records over and over).

Sadly, this is unfortunately what we are coming down to in the Old Movie Fandom Biz, social miscreants who cannot leave their homes (or their parents homes) or communicate with their fellow human beings in anything resembling polite manners, their own little virtual worlds so fragile that human contact causes cracks. They can only communicate by ranting to each other on the internet and whining about how this or that Blu-Ray release didn’t float their boats in the precise matter required.

Oh, and someone whined about the horrible film collectors and their infuriating weird personal tendencies that hinder, rather than help, film restoration? Hmmm, the weird personal tendency that the one collector had was the fact that he died, and the other was that a collector refused to give the name of another collector whom he sold a print to a total stranger. Perhaps making the stranger wait while he checked to see if it was okay with the projectionist/collector to give his name to a total stranger about the use of his personal property is too much for the obsessives who troll Nitratevile and need their movies immediately (sounds of Verruca Salt singing “I want it now!......), but it seems pretty justifiable behavior in a normal, non-virtual world.

And obviously no one over there knows much about B westerns, Gebert using Google to show that SEVEN MEN FROM NOW was a B western. Huh-huh, Randolph Scott was one of the top-ten boxoffice stars of the 50’s, and that films, though not the biggest-budget epic ever made, but it certainly was designed to play top of the bill. Then again, Gebert proved his western knowledge with his reviews of the John Wayne Lone-stars earlier in the week.

Ah well, enough of this, unlike those Nitratevile shut-ins, this one has places to go, people to see.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Richard M Roberts
Oh, and Jimmy Stewart wasn’t much of an actor.

Any actor who gets face slapped by Shemp is a damned good actor.

Pasquale

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Hey, I see Aldrich, the guy who claims to cut off all contact with me rather than visa-versa is still closely reading my every word I write (Hello John, since you’re reading this, you’re an asshole, just thought I’d throw that in) and asserts that SEVEN MEN FROM NOW is indeed a “B Western” cause Martin Scorsese says so.

Well, this just shows some general misconceptions and misuses of the term “B picture” by fans and buffs of recent because they have no actual historical background in motion picture distribution. In 1956, Warner Brothers released approximately 24 feature films, there were no “B pictures” in that bunch. In fact, they had publically announced back in the mid-40’s that they would produce no more “B pictures” and this was back in the days before the separation of the Studios from the Theater chains and block-booking when the term “B picture” actually applied. By the mid-1950’s, none of the major studios were producing enough product to be making what could be construed as “B pictures” and the concept of a small independent like John Wayne’s Batjac having a “B picture arm” is ridiculous at best, they produced only a handful of picture a year at most, in the few years of 50’s when Wayne was actually making any Batjac films that didn’t star himself. There were no “B picture arms” to a Boutique Independent like that, especially when they had major studio releases.

Scorsese may have seen SEVEN MEN FROM NOW on a double bill, but exhibitors were by then making the decision on those couplings, not the Studios, and they could be anything: First-run features coupled with second or third-run A’s, major studio features followed by minor studio releases. In Queens, it was very likely young Master Martin saw SEVEN MEN FROM NOW in a neighborhood house, and in New York City, a Randolph Scott Western was not going to be a long-time first-run draw. In the South, Randy would ride alone a lot longer, that where he was money in the bank and bankable into the early 60’s. Scott was never a B-Western star.

So sorry, Aldrich is wrong (big surprise), Scorsese is wrong. SEVEN MEN FROM NOW was not a costly shoot, but to call it a “B western” is a total misuse of the term. Just the sort of nonsense we’ve come to expect from Nitratevile.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Damn, some of the people over at that site are (pardon my French) fucking idiots. They think film preservation & restoration is free and you snap your fingers and it happens instantly.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Louie Despres wrote:Damn, some of the people over at that site are (pardon my French) fucking idiots. They think film preservation & restoration is free and you snap your fingers and it happens instantly.

Thats right, if it ain't the Archives letting their films molder in the can, it's those damn film collectors and their weird tendencies stopping it from happening, or those damn Studios that won't let their product out, or those DVD Producers who don't know what their doing and are too slow!

That eliminates 100% of the folk who are preserving and restoring film, whom else can they whine about?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:17 pm

It appears I offended someone there.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:53 pm

When is Louie going to get banned from there?

And when he does I bet it will have nothing to do with his comments here and more about his love for a certain so-called dialect comedian.
For that reason alone I would had banned him ten....fifteen....one hundred years ago! But then I'm persnickety.

And now excuse me as I must go work at getting myself banned from over there. Maybe I could say I'm a friend of Richard M. -- even though we have never met. Or I could just mention that I am of Scandinavian descent. Maybe they can connect the dots and retroactively toss me off.

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:For that reason alone I would had banned him ten....fifteen....one hundred years ago! But then I'm persnickety.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.