Richard M.Roberts Banned from Nitrateville

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Ed Watz
Associate

Re: Richard M.Roberts Banned from Nitrateville

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Agnes McFadden wrote:Well, I might have joined the bandwagon here save for the promise of scantilly-clad Max Davidson & Spec O'Donnell.

Thoes cheesekake shots alone should be worth the price of the book.

Wait until you see the photo of Charley Chase dressed in a girl's bathing suit on p. 103, Agnes. With pictures like these, Popular Press is giving the book away at fifty bucks.

Just received my copy of Richard's book in the mail. To say "it looks fantastic" would be an understatement. Five Stars and an instant classic!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:38 am

Ed Watz wrote:
Agnes McFadden wrote:Well, I might have joined the bandwagon here save for the promise of scantilly-clad Max Davidson & Spec O'Donnell.

Thoes cheesekake shots alone should be worth the price of the book.

Wait until you see the photo of Charley Chase dressed in a girl's bathing suit on p. 103, Agnes. With pictures like these, Popular Press is giving the book away at fifty bucks.

Just received my copy of Richard's book in the mail. To say "it looks fantastic" would be an understatement. Five Stars and an instant classic!

Praise Indeed Ed, Thank You.

Folks, don't get the idea that this is a book full of naked or cross-dressing comedian pics. I don't think those even make up a third of the book.

RICHARD M ROBERTS (but the Marvin Lobach centerfold is pretty amazing)

Dennis Campa
Cugine

Postby Dennis Campa » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:00 pm

I received my copy yesterday, and it's a wow! A truly astonishing book Richard; thank you for putting this out!

Lots of great pictures and fascinating info, I'm having a ball reading it.

But no picture of Finlayson au natural?

Dennis

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Dennis Campa wrote:I received my copy yesterday, and it's a wow! A truly astonishing book Richard; thank you for putting this out!

Lots of great pictures and fascinating info, I'm having a ball reading it.

But no picture of Finlayson au natural?

Dennis

Thanks for the nice words Dennis, glad you like tha book.

But hey folks, why is everyone praising the book in the banned thread? Hows about putting it in a thread about the book?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Reid
Cugine

Postby Jim Reid » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 pm

I moved it myself. Sorry!
Last edited by Jim Reid on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Jim Reid wrote:It's got everything I've wanted to know and couldn't find anywhere. This is a definate must-have!
Thanks for this book, Richard!

You're welcome Jim, and thanks for the nice words.

Oh, I give up, if you're gonna praise my book in the wrong thread, what else can I do? We don't do all that moving threads around that Gebert gets so anal about over at Nutrateville.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:20 pm

They got a good one over there now, "what lost film would you give anything to see?". There's a thread which has never been started before.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Louie Despres wrote:They got a good one over there now, "what lost film would you give anything to see?". There's a thread which has never been started before.

I don't know whether thats better than the "what's your favorite MacDonald and Eddy Movie" thread, or the attempt to spread misinformation on a supposed surviving Lon Chaney radio broadcast that forced MIchael Blake to come on and read them the riot act for incorrectly accusing him of the misinformation. It's that high-level of accuracy and civiiity that is the hall mark of Nutrateville.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:33 am

Well goodness, I haven’t had much reason to add anything to this thread of recent, it’s been so boring and ho-hum over at Nutrateville that I haven’t had anything worth spending the time to correct or make fun of. The recent meltdown on buying grey market DVD’s was just a repeat of similar self-righteous posturing over the years over there, and making fun of Doug Sulpy is shooting fish in a barrel, so why bother?

But it was fun to take a gander over there today and see that even the posting of the lovely review of my book by Leonard Maltin has gotten some frothing mouths filling with foam again, one nameless loser (oops, sorry Blackbird, exercising my right of free speech too) tirading about me tirading in this thread about my banning from Nutrateville “for five whole pages” like I wrote every post here. Hmmm, maybe he should have actually read it a bit, and seen all the nice folk defending me and wishing me well, or even Mr. Birchard who came over for a snit and an argument. And accusing me of jumping on him for wishing folk a Merry Christmas? I had to go look that one up, and I only kidded him for wishing everyone Merry Christmas a day early, this he takes as a horrible assault? How do these people get through an entire day?

Whatever, it shows that the level of maturity over there is still pretty pathetic. The place is pretty much taken up by anonymous OCD’ers who hide behind their fake monikers and pretend to know something about movies. It’s interesting how many articles of recent I have been seeing about the problems of internet pettiness and the anonymous monikering that allows some pretty unbalanced folk to get on the net and act like petty children. Funny, we don’t seem to have much of that over at Silent Comedy Mafia, everybody knows everybody here.

In any event, thought I’d add a new two cents to this “tirade”, especially as it still seems to be getting a lot of hits every day. I was wondering who the hell was reading it now. Must be some obsessive Nutratevillers who just can’t seem to let go of things, they really do need to get lives.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Mike O'Regan

Postby Mike O'Regan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Though, you've occasionally rubbed me up the wrong way over there, I kinda missed your posts. You would appear to know what you're talking about, so I thought I'd hook up with this here outfit.

Looking forward to it,

-Mike

ps: why are there no "smilie" emoticons? How will we know when we're happy??