Richard M.Roberts Banned from Nitrateville

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Richard M.Roberts Banned from Nitrateville

Postby Louie Despres » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:26 am

and I have to tell you, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves about Nitrateville is that people can hide behind made-up names.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 am

And when you point out how many opportunities exist to see things at cons, festivals, cable channels and on DVD/Blu, the inevitable response is, "I can't afford these things like you rich fellas." Well, there is more rare film material online than you could ever watch in a lifetime, much of it in HD. And if you can't afford the price of an Internet connection, you can always trundle on down to your local library and spend the day watching nothing but rare treasures and old favorites. You will never get to the bottom of the well as new material is being added constantly.

Oh well, 'twas always thus. There are exhibitors reports from the 1920s complaining that nothing good ever comes from the studios anymore.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:38 pm

Richard, I really, really want to read your new book, but you and Practical Press are such mean and greedy people for making it soooo expensive. Not everybody can earn the big bucks like all you archivists do. Please send me my free copy, thanks.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:37 pm

I'll take a free copy also, Richard.

In fact, toss in a couple of extra books. I'll give them away as xmas gifts.
My friends know what a big spender I am.

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:24 pm

I promise I'll write you a mostly glowing review on Amazon when I get around to reading your book sometime next year. I can't give it five stars because some of your pictures are fuzzy-looking.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Bruce Calvert wrote:Richard, I really, really want to read your new book, but you and Practical Press are such mean and greedy people for making it soooo expensive. Not everybody can earn the big bucks like all you archivists do. Please send me my free copy, thanks.

Yeah, and the irony of that is one of the reasons I pulled the book from McFarland was because I didn't want it to cost $125 and we've kept the costs as low as possible (no ones gonna make a dime off this book, we all know that) then I'm at Cinevent, knocking $10 off the cover price, and someone tries to get me to knock off two more bucks!

But hey, this is interesting, one of Nitrateville's moderators coming over here to breath the clean air and speak his mind regarding a Nitrateville thread in a manner that would probably get him censored over there. See Bruce, ain't free speech fun?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Boy, you know, I keep looking back at ol Nutrateville to see what's going on, but the incredible dullness of the place is getting just amazing. I do notice the all-important "civility" seems to be going down the toilet on just as regular a basis since my departure, and the funny thing is that when Geberts deletes a bunch of nasty, he always leaves his own message indicating the cuts. Heck, if he edited those too, no one would probably know the cuts have been made.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Bob Birchard

Postby Bob Birchard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 pm

I posted the Marcel Perez death certificate info to nitrateville, silent comedians.com and silentcomedymafia.com one right after the other on June 1, and to date there have been well over 500 views on nitrateville and 25 comments; 160 views on silentcomedymafia.com and 3 comments; and 137 views and 3 comments on silentcomedians.com. Also on nitratevillle there have been some 29 more recent posts that have shoved the Perez topic down the list. There have been 8 such posts on sientcomedymafia.com, all but 2 coming from Richard M. Roberts, and 2 such on silentcomedians.com. Based on statistics alone, and not as a matter of quality or depth of discussion or whether a given topic of discussion is of particular interest or not, it would still seem that nitrateville is by far the liveliest forum of the three.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Bob Birchard wrote:I posted the Marcel Perez death certificate info to nitrateville, silent comedians.com and silentcomedymafia.com one right after the other on June 1, and to date there have been well over 500 views on nitrateville and 25 comments; 160 views on silentcomedymafia.com and 3 comments; and 137 views and 3 comments on silentcomedians.com. Also on nitratevillle there have been some 29 more recent posts that have shoved the Perez topic down the list. There have been 8 such posts on sientcomedymafia.com, all but 2 coming from Richard M. Roberts, and 2 such on silentcomedians.com. Based on statistics alone, and not as a matter of quality or depth of discussion or whether a given topic of discussion is of particular interest or not, it would still seem that nitrateville is by far the liveliest forum of the three.

Liveliest had not one damn whit to do with how many hits Nutrateville gets (and either your math is screwed or you don't look at the "view active topics" section which shows your Perez post pushed off by 18 new threads, not 8), and our hits are growing and their hits are decreasing, and our membership is also increasing. If you think Nitrateville so great Birchard, why don't you stay there?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 am

Gary Johnson wrote:I'll take a free copy also, Richard.

In fact, toss in a couple of extra books. I'll give them away as xmas gifts.
My friends know what a big spender I am.

Well, I might have joined the bandwagon here save for the promise of scantilly-clad Max Davidson & Spec O'Donnell.

Thoes cheesekake shots alone should be worth the price of the book.
Agnes McFadden