Cub comedy titles

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Dino Everett
Associate

Cub comedy titles

Postby Dino Everett » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 am

OK i was just looking at a couple of cub comedies today and was curious where the clue to this films' title lies..I also started wondering about the rest since I am not as familiar with these as others..... What does the DH stand for ? Does the 16 (next to the "C" in the bottom left stand for the year or the production number? I know the "1" next to it is the title card....
Attachments
cub1.jpg
cub1.jpg (26.26 KiB) Viewed 7703 times

Rob King
Associate

Re: Cub comedy titles

Postby Rob King » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 am

DH = David Horsley? Just guessing. ...

Brent Walker
Capo

Re: Cub comedy titles

Postby Brent Walker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:33 pm

Dino Everett wrote:OK i was just looking at a couple of cub comedies today and was curious where the clue to this films' title lies..I also started wondering about the rest since I am not as familiar with these as others..... What does the DH stand for ? Does the 16 (next to the "C" in the bottom left stand for the year or the production number? I know the "1" next to it is the title card....

Yes, the DH is David Horsley. Most of the Neal Burns-Betty Compson ones were from 1916, but that first number I think might be the number of the release or production, as I don't think they would duplicate it from film to film (the second number being the number of the card).

Al Christie was behind these, and was simultaneously making Nestor Comedies for Universal and the Cubs for Mutual with virtually the same casts. At the Broncho Billy Festival, we saw WHEN CLUBS ARE TRUMPS with Neal Burns and Betty Compson (and other members of the Christie stock company like Harry Rattenberry, Gus Alexander and George B. French), and then GOOD NIGHT, NURSE! which was a Nestor released around the same time (1916) with the same people.