SMILEAGE GUARANTEED HAL ROACH BOOK ON SALE NOW!

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Pasquale Ventura

Re: SMILEAGE GUARANTEED HAL ROACH BOOK ON SALE NOW!

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:13 am

Richard, any plans selling copies at Cinecon this year?

Pasquale

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:16 am

Pasquale Ventura wrote:Richard, any plans selling copies at Cinecon this year?

Pasquale

Hello Pasquale, and welcome to the Group!

Nope, don't do Cinecon anymore, but if you're in the Los Angeles area, we may be doing a Larry Edmunds Bookstore signing some time this Summer.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:33 am

Hello Richard and thank you for the nice welcome.
Yeah, I'm in the LA area and walk to Edmunds once in a while for books and 8x10 stills.
If you do a book signing at Larry Edmunds keep us posted, I'd enjoy going to that.

Pasquale

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Hey, a nice review from Richard Warner on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098930 ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Richard, glad to know you enjoyed the book.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Here's the thread to comment on the book, rather than the Banned Thread.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Reid
Cugine

Postby Jim Reid » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:53 pm

It's got everything I've wanted to know and couldn't find anywhere. This is a definate must-have!
Thanks for this book, Richard!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 am

Jim Reid wrote:It's got everything I've wanted to know and couldn't find anywhere. This is a definate must-have!
Thanks for this book, Richard!

Thanks Again Jim, for both the nice words and moving it to the right thread.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Lorenzo Tremarelli

Postby Lorenzo Tremarelli » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:20 am

I've received this book a week ago or so.
This is an excellent work.
Read it straightaway!

I'm filled with wonder about a Charley Chase's MGM believed lost two reeler, OFF TO BUFFALO (2-16-1929), that in the filmography appears to be extant.
There are two wonderful photos of the short, too. I'm a big fan of CC, I hope this claim will be confirmed by the autor of the book.

However that may be, this work is a MUST for silent comedy fans.
Not to be missed!
"The more trouble you get a man into, the more comedy you get out of him" (Harold Lloyd)

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:46 pm

This book is everything I hoped it would be. (Frankly, I was expecting something like this from the RLW book on Roach.) Finally, we have a fully fleshed-out picture of the Roach output. Anyone who has the Lloyd, Our Gang, and Laurel & Hardy books in their library, would be foolish not to invest in this vital piece of the puzzle. Charley Chase, Max Davidson, Clyde Cook, Snub Pollard, Paul Parrott, and even series like the Spat Family, and the Taxi Boys get the full attention any Phunphilmphile will enjoy. I want to thank Richard, Rob, and Joe, not only for providing a book I've been craving for most of my adult life, but for the exhaustive filmography that is every bit as compelling as the text. (Here's a stroke of genius: Putting an asterisk next to films known to exist, rather than films missing at the time of writing. You'll never again have to reference the Dardis filmography, only to guess which Lloyd shorts have since been recovered.) This is a major work that I know will get dog-eared and ragged from overuse. I think I'll go dog-earing right now.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:This book is everything I hoped it would be. (Frankly, I was expecting something like this from the RLW book on Roach.) Finally, we have a fully fleshed-out picture of the Roach output. Anyone who has the Lloyd, Our Gang, and Laurel & Hardy books in their library, would be foolish not to invest in this vital piece of the puzzle. Charley Chase, Max Davidson, Clyde Cook, Snub Pollard, Paul Parrott, and even series like the Spat Family, and the Taxi Boys get the full attention any Phunphilmphile will enjoy. I want to thank Richard, Rob, and Joe, not only for providing a book I've been craving for most of my adult life, but for the exhaustive filmography that is every bit as compelling as the text. (Here's a stroke of genius: Putting an asterisk next to films known to exist, rather than films missing at the time of writing. You'll never again have to reference the Dardis filmography, only to guess which Lloyd shorts have since been recovered.) This is a major work that I know will get dog-eared and ragged from overuse. I think I'll go dog-earing right now.

Thank you Joe for those very nice words, and it was nice to meet you at Slapsticon.

BTW folks, if you really do like the book, feel free to put in a good word and review on the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Smileage-Guarante ... 0989301907

That will keep sales moving along.

RICHARD M ROBERTS