SMILEAGE GUARANTEED HAL ROACH BOOK ON SALE NOW!

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Jim Roots

Re: SMILEAGE GUARANTEED HAL ROACH BOOK ON SALE NOW!

Postby Jim Roots » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Just finished reading RIchard's book and have two questions.

1) Page 187, top photo, the girl on the left is "unknown". But directly across the page, on 186, the photo for "The Caretaker's Daughter" shows what appears to be the same girl, here identified as Claudia Dell. Check the shape of the nose and the spacing between the eyes. I have not seen either of these films, so perhaps it is obvious within them that she is or isn't the same girl; but the stills sure look like the same girl.

2) The comments about Langdon's Roach talkies make me want to see them, even without captioning. Is there any chance at all of a DVD of these films in the future?

Jim
When you're surrounded by vultures, playing dead is not a good strategy.

Mike Paradise

Postby Mike Paradise » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Richard-
Loved the fact that the Brothers Parrott were front and center on a book about Hal Roach Studios. One exception, you misspelled the occupation of Charley and Jimmie's father. It isn't "banker", it's spelled "bookie." I'm sure it will be corrected in a later edition.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Just finished reading RIchard's book and have two questions.

1) Page 187, top photo, the girl on the left is "unknown". But directly across the page, on 186, the photo for "The Caretaker's Daughter" shows what appears to be the same girl, here identified as Claudia Dell. Check the shape of the nose and the spacing between the eyes. I have not seen either of these films, so perhaps it is obvious within them that she is or isn't the same girl; but the stills sure look like the same girl.

The girl in MUSIC IN YOUR HAIR looks similar in the picture, but isn't Claudia Dell. Thinner, wider set eyes, and as I recall a lot less acting talent.

2) The comments about Langdon's Roach talkies make me want to see them, even without captioning. Is there any chance at all of a DVD of these films in the future?

Jim[/quote]

Not to my knowledge.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Mike Paradise wrote:Richard-
Loved the fact that the Brothers Parrott were front and center on a book about Hal Roach Studios. One exception, you misspelled the occupation of Charley and Jimmie's father. It isn't "banker", it's spelled "bookie." I'm sure it will be corrected in a later edition.

Nitpick Nitpick. We go with the official version. Show me proof Pappy Parrott was a "bookie", not like there's a lot of difference between them and bankers these days anyway.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gregg Rickman
Associate

Postby Gregg Rickman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Excellent book. A compendium of invaluable information, very very liberally illustrated with wonderful stills. The product of years of work. All praise.

My one substantial complaint is that the book should be longer. I'm perfectly aware that there are many books out there on Lloyd and Laurel & Hardy, but I would like to read the author's (no doubt at times against the grain) commentaries on their films as well. Similarly, Roberts doesn't discuss "The Boyfriends" series or the various Thelma Todd and others' series for, as he says on p. 162, Leonard Maltin got there first. Well, I'm sorry, but I want to read a second opinion. (And see more stills of Thelma.) The author should slip in a 300 page Volume 1-A before proceeding to his projected Volume 2, on Educational. Thanks in advance!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Gregg Rickman wrote:Excellent book. A compendium of invaluable information, very very liberally illustrated with wonderful stills. The product of years of work. All praise.

My one substantial complaint is that the book should be longer. I'm perfectly aware that there are many books out there on Lloyd and Laurel & Hardy, but I would like to read the author's (no doubt at times against the grain) commentaries on their films as well. Similarly, Roberts doesn't discuss "The Boyfriends" series or the various Thelma Todd and others' series for, as he says on p. 162, Leonard Maltin got there first. Well, I'm sorry, but I want to read a second opinion. (And see more stills of Thelma.) The author should slip in a 300 page Volume 1-A before proceeding to his projected Volume 2, on Educational. Thanks in advance!

Ya know Mr. Rickman, I don't just dash these books off for your reading pleasure. I write whats I'm interested in writing about, and if I substancially disagreed with what Skretvedt or Maltin wrote about Laurel and Hardy or Our Gang, I might have written about them, but I don't, so I won't, and I am not gonna waste my time apeing what others have already written. And I don't like either The Boyfriends or the Thelma Todd/ Patsy Kelly series, so unlike some other Authors who have no problem writing volumes about performers they obviously dislike or don't get, I leave them to someone who might actually like them to research and write about them. So there.

But seriously, thanks for the nice words. Sorry there weren't more santily clad Thelma Todd pics.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Mike Paradise

Postby Mike Paradise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:19 am

Nitpick Nitpick. We go with the official version. Show me proof Pappy Parrott was a "bookie", not like there's a lot of difference between them and bankers these days anyway.

So I'm watching "Becoming Charley Chase" the other night with the wife, trying to get her interested in the "Pride of Baltimore" one more time, and up pops the interview conducted by Brian Anthony and Ed Watz from 1997 with June Chase Hargis. About 3 minutes in, this sweet lady says, "Oh, Dad's father was a bookie. At one point, he lived across the street from a racetrack (Pimlico, Home of the Preakness, I'm thinking.)" At no time during the interview did she mention the banking profession in relation to her family. So I checked to see who else was involved with this project besides the eminent Messers. Anthony and Watz, and low and behold I see the name "Richard M. Roberts." Up next, pops "Chasing Parrotts", and the visage of the distinguished and solemn Richard M. Roberts appears sitting at a piano for no apparent reason. I was waiting for him to break into "Swinging the Alphabet." My wife recognized the name and cutting to the heart of the matter, or rather the throat, said,"Isn't that the guy who wrote that book that you spent $60.00 on?" I was ready with a snappy retort, "Well, after all dear, he is the world's tallest film historian." That shut her up, except for the gales of laughter. Anyway, if Richard M. Roberts' name is attached to a project I know it has been checked and rechecked for accuracy. Thank you, Richard, for helping me find "the truth." I am also running down a source that claims that "Pappy Parrott" was a Maytag repairman.

Mike Paradise

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Mike Paradise wrote:

So I'm watching "Becoming Charley Chase" the other night with the wife, trying to get her interested in the "Pride of Baltimore" one more time, and up pops the interview conducted by Brian Anthony and Ed Watz from 1997 with June Chase Hargis. About 3 minutes in, this sweet lady says, "Oh, Dad's father was a bookie. At one point, he lived across the street from a racetrack (Pimlico, Home of the Preakness, I'm thinking.)" At no time during the interview did she mention the banking profession in relation to her family. So I checked to see who else was involved with this project besides the eminent Messers. Anthony and Watz, and low and behold I see the name "Richard M. Roberts." Up next, pops "Chasing Parrotts", and the visage of the distinguished and solemn Richard M. Roberts appears sitting at a piano for no apparent reason. I was waiting for him to break into "Swinging the Alphabet." My wife recognized the name and cutting to the heart of the matter, or rather the throat, said,"Isn't that the guy who wrote that book that you spent $60.00 on?" I was ready with a snappy retort, "Well, after all dear, he is the world's tallest film historian." That shut her up, except for the gales of laughter. Anyway, if Richard M. Roberts' name is attached to a project I know it has been checked and rechecked for accuracy. Thank you, Richard, for helping me find "the truth." I am also running down a source that claims that "Pappy Parrott" was a Maytag repairman.

Mike Paradise

As I recall, that is also the interview where she indicates that her Dad and Mom were also happily married their entire lives, so I can't say I buy the accuracy of any the Family legend.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for reminding me, Mike. Those were happy times, when Brian Anthony and I borrowed professional equipment and conducted interviews with old friends. As Brian and I set up in June's home, my wife Sabine and June were busy in the kitchen making real lemonade with a juicer and sugar. June was a generous, friendly, down-to-earth person - I think those traits come through in our interview.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Mike Paradise

Postby Mike Paradise » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks for reminding me, Mike. Those were happy times, when Brian Anthony and I borrowed professional equipment and conducted interviews with old friends. As Brian and I set up in June's home, my wife Sabine and June were busy in the kitchen making real lemonade with a juicer and sugar. June was a generous, friendly, down-to-earth person - I think those traits come through in our interview.

Those qualities come across, Ed, and I thought you and Brian got the max. She didn't seem pressured. To get back to the molehill that is now, at least, a speed bump. June did not appear "non compos mentis" in the interview, but rather having euphoric recall in describing her parents relationship. This is not uncommon with adult children of alcoholics.

As I recall, that is also the interview where she indicates that her Dad and Mom were also happily married their entire lives, so I can't say I buy the accuracy of any the Family legend.

However, I doubt that she would have euphoric recall about about "Pappy Parrott" being a bookie rather than a banker. *Note to RMR: As you can see, I am upping the stakes by using a dead language in the discussion. Take that, Roberts.

Mike Paradise