What was found at MOSTLY LOST 2

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

What was found at MOSTLY LOST 2

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:57 am

Some have been asking, so here's a few of the things that were shown and identified:

Well, lets see, there was a Texas Guinan short, SPIRIT OF CABIN MINE (Frohman Amusement Company 1918).

Two Hallroom Boys Comedies:

1. DAY BY DAY IN EVERY WAY (1923) with Al Alt and George Williams (Zip Monberg)

2. PUT AND TAKE (1921) with Sid Smith and Harry McCoy.

A 1910 Vitagraph Drama called BY THE FAITH OF A CHILD starring Maurice Costello.

A reel from a Reed Howes feature called THE NIGHT OWL (Harry Joe Brown Productions-Rayart 1926)

DADDY AMBROSE (Frohman Amusement Co 1919) starring Mack Swain and Lottie Cruze.

A short titled WITCHCRAFT that may be the 1912 Cines Production from Italy.

Some footage from the German feature DIE CHRONIK VON GRIESHUUS (1925)

Sections of several Tom Mix Selig Films, including THE LAW AND THE OUTLAW (1913), THE WILDERNESS MAIL (1914) and CHIP OF THE FLYING U (1913).

Two prints of the 1912 Pathe film ANNE BOLEYN (1912), one stencil colored and one not.

A Deforest Phonofilm starring William Frawley and his then wife Edna doing their Vaudeville act.

A 1912 American Film Co film called THE TRAMPS GRATITUDE with Jack Richardson, J. Warren Kerrigan, and Pauline Bush.

We also watched films of Riveters and Home Movies of an unknown German Couple in the early 1950’s with their poodles.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: What was found at MOSTLY LOST 2

Postby Rob Farr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:04 am

In several cases we didn't get a title (yet) but identified some of the actors. We all suspect some of the hard-to-ID comedies were saddled with generic titles having nothing to do with plot: "In Trouble".
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:37 pm

I have yet to see an attractive portrait of Texas Guinan in any book. Did she look any better on celluoid?

I wasn't aware that when Swain left Sennett he took his Ambrose character with him. I think of him more as a character acter than a lead comic.

How does the whole 'identifying clips' work at Mostly Lost? Is it like the floor of the NY Stock Exchange where everyone just shouts out 'buy' and 'sell' or is there a little more order to it? And if one member screams out that it is B.F. Skinner up on the screen while another member is positive it is Gertrude Stein, does a tag team wrestling match break out in the middle of the aisle to decide the matter?

If so, I must attend some year.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:I have yet to see an attractive portrait of Texas Guinan in any book. Did she look any better on celluoid?

No.

I wasn't aware that when Swain left Sennett he took his Ambrose character with him. I think of him more as a character acter than a lead comic.

Swain played Ambrose in both L-KO Comedies and the series for Frohman Amusement Corp.

How does the whole 'identifying clips' work at Mostly Lost? Is it like the floor of the NY Stock Exchange where everyone just shouts out 'buy' and 'sell' or is there a little more order to it? And if one member screams out that it is B.F. Skinner up on the screen while another member is positive it is Gertrude Stein, does a tag team wrestling match break out in the middle of the aisle to decide the matter?

Yes.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Bob Birchard

Postby Bob Birchard » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Other IDs included:

The Cowpuncher's Peril (Selig, 1916) Tom Mix. extended fragment

Her Greatest Story (Laemmle-Universal, 1916) with Myrtle Gonzalez and Fred Church (Dutch titles)

Mockery (Vitagraph, 1912) with Clara Kimball Young [tentative ID]

Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (1930s) home movies of the exhibition golfer strutting his stuff

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:33 am

Also:

An excerpt from B-western WAR OF THE RANGE (1933) - Monarch/Freuler, with Tom Tyler, Billy Franey and Lane Chandler.
An excerpt from TARZAN'S REVENGE (1938) - Principal/20th Century-Fox, with Eleanor Holm, George Meeker and Glenn Morris as Tarzan.
A few excerpts from PAPER BULLETS (1941) - PRC, with Joan Woodbury, George Pembroke, Lloyd Ingraham, Jack LaRue.

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am

Bob Birchard wrote:Other IDs included:

The Cowpuncher's Peril (Selig, 1916) Tom Mix. extended fragment

Her Greatest Story (Laemmle-Universal, 1916) with Myrtle Gonzalez and Fred Church (Dutch titles)

Mockery (Vitagraph, 1912) with Clara Kimball Young [tentative ID]

Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (1930s) home movies of the exhibition golfer strutting his stuff

MOCKERY actually turned out to be THE SOUL OF VENICE (Vitagraph, 26-Feb-1910).

Also ID'd was an Ambrosio comedy, EXPLOITS OF A NAPOLEON ADMIRER (1911), which was originally the first half of a split-reel. The cool thing here is that the second half was a Marcel Perez Robinet comedy, American title: TWEEDLEDUM'S DREAM. According to Steve Massa's book, this one exists in Denmark, so maybe some day the two will once again be joined.

Michael
http://mutual-chaplin.blogspot.com