Behind the scenes still at the Hal Roach Studio

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Brent Walker
Capo

Re: Behind the scenes still at the Hal Roach Studio

Postby Brent Walker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Well, it was my crazy pot-stirring stab for a Saturday night. Lige Conley is on the Roach payroll for a couple of films, including SAILORS BEWARE. If it is early Twenties, then maybe it is Beaudine, since he was taking side jobs from everyone (he worked for Sennett for 5 minutes in 1922).

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Richard M. Roberts wrote:Lehrman didn't last a week and he was back at Warner Brothers.

Richard, is this something you could elaborate on? I've only found one other article so far in Moving Picture World that covers much of the same stuff that Brent's LA Times article covered, but haven't found any evidence to date that Lehrman was actually with Roach. Any background you could provide would be appreciated.

The article:

Moving Picture World, May 7, 1927, p. 41

Roach Signs Up Henry Lehrman and L.J. Gasnier

"Henry Lehrman has been engaged by Hal Roach to take charge of the story department at the Roach Studios. He will have the handling of story material for the different directors producing Pathe comedies.

The Roach directorial staff has also been augmented by the signing of Louis J. Gasnier, noted director of features, who assumes charge of a new unit immediately.

Charley Chase has again donned make-up and is under way with another rollicking farce, as yet untitled. Chase has a new leading lady in the dainty person of Edna Marion, while Caryl Lincoln and Lincoln Plummer are also cast in prominent roles.

James Parrot is directing."

Tom Reeder

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Thomas Reeder wrote:
Richard M. Roberts wrote:Lehrman didn't last a week and he was back at Warner Brothers.

Richard, is this something you could elaborate on? I've only found one other article so far in Moving Picture World that covers much of the same stuff that Brent's LA Times article covered, but haven't found any evidence to date that Lehrman was actually with Roach. Any background you could provide would be appreciated.

The article:

Moving Picture World, May 7, 1927, p. 41

Roach Signs Up Henry Lehrman and L.J. Gasnier

"Henry Lehrman has been engaged by Hal Roach to take charge of the story department at the Roach Studios. He will have the handling of story material for the different directors producing Pathe comedies.

The Roach directorial staff has also been augmented by the signing of Louis J. Gasnier, noted director of features, who assumes charge of a new unit immediately.

Charley Chase has again donned make-up and is under way with another rollicking farce, as yet untitled. Chase has a new leading lady in the dainty person of Edna Marion, while Caryl Lincoln and Lincoln Plummer are also cast in prominent roles.

James Parrot is directing."

Tom Reeder

Nothing worth elaborating on. Lehrman was signed, then left. I've never found his name on one single Roach credit or uncredit.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

R. Joseph Physician
Cugine

Postby R. Joseph Physician » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Have any of you even heard of a woman?
If You Do Not See The Name R. Joseph Physician At The Bottom Of The Above Post It Was Not Posted By R. Joseph Physician. Beware Of Imitators.

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Richard M. Roberts wrote:Nothing worth elaborating on. Lehrman was signed, then left. I've never found his name on one single Roach credit or uncredit.

Thanks, Richard.

R. Joseph Physician wrote:Have any of you even heard of a woman?

Yeah, I'm married to one. What am I missing here?

Tom Reeder

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:59 pm

You're the one who was making leering desperate comments at Sara Ackerman. We've all got lovely spouses and significant others. From your comments here, you are in no positiion to be commenting on anyone elses lives.

Your membership in this club is hanging by a thread. this is your only warning.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

R. Joseph Physician
Cugine

Postby R. Joseph Physician » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:

You're the one who was making leering desperate comments at Sara Ackerman. We've all got lovely spouses and significant others. From your comments here, you are in no positiion to be commenting on anyone elses lives.

Your membership in this club is hanging by a thread. this is your only warning.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Apologies to anyone I offended. I was attempting humor and apparently failed.
Mafia indeed.
If You Do Not See The Name R. Joseph Physician At The Bottom Of The Above Post It Was Not Posted By R. Joseph Physician. Beware Of Imitators.

Yair Solan
Associate

Postby Yair Solan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Here's another still from what appears to be the same photo session:

It's definitely Charley Chase (still Parrott at this point) in the center. Second from left: Beanie Walker, third from left: William Beaudine, standing next to Chase (with glasses): Tom McNamara, far right: Robert McGowan. The rest look like the same guys from the previous picture.

Perhaps this was a group photo to commemorate the short-lived Hal Roach directing school in 1923. (If so, it has to be Beaudine instead of Hal Yates, as Yates wasn't at Roach yet in '23.) Question is, who are the rest of these folks? Checked with Dick Bann and he notes that the possibilities boil down to: Kitty Howe, Ralph Ceder, Fred Jackman, George Jeske, Val Paul, Robin Williamson, Percy Pembroke, and Roy Clements, all who may have been involved in the program at the time. Doesn't look like any of these guys are Sam Taylor, Tom Crizer, Warren Doane, Fred Newmeyer, or Len Powers.
THE WORLD OF CHARLEY CHASE
http://www.charley-chase.com

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:15 pm

It's definitely Charley Chase (still Parrott at this point) in the center. Second from left: Beanie Walker, third from left: William Beaudine, standing next to Chase (with glasses): Tom McNamara, far right: Robert McGowan. The rest look like the same guys from the previous picture.

Perhaps this was a group photo to commemorate the short-lived Hal Roach directing school in 1923. (If so, it has to be Beaudine instead of Hal Yates, as Yates wasn't at Roach yet in '23.) Question is, who are the rest of these folks? Checked with Dick Bann and he notes that the possibilities boil down to: Kitty Howe, Ralph Ceder, Fred Jackman, George Jeske, Val Paul, Robin Williamson, Percy Pembroke, and Roy Clements, all who may have been involved in the program at the time. Doesn't look like any of these guys are Sam Taylor, Tom Crizer, Warren Doane, Fred Newmeyer, or Len Powers.[/quote]

I'd love to see a larger copy of the photos so I could see the faces well, but from this size I don't see George Jeske among them. Somewhere at home I know I have photos of Jackman and, I think, Ceder. I think I've also seen a shot of Scott "Percy" Pembroke, but I'm not sure where and wouldn't remember what he looks like.

Cole Johnson
Associate

Postby Cole Johnson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Hello, friends----That's a great, rare still! I'm wondering if anyone can identify the distinctive set seen here. Was this exterior used in Stan Laurel's FROZEN HEARTS?--Cole Johnson.