Minta Durfee and The Last of the Terrible Men

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Joan Myers
Associate

Minta Durfee and The Last of the Terrible Men

Postby Joan Myers » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:47 am

I just did another post for a friend's blogsite on one piece of the Arbuckle case. It's entitled "Minta Durfee and The Last of the Terrible Men" and it can be read at:
http://newfeministmediaresearch.blogspo ... e-men.html

I also did a podcast with Vicki, related to the same subject.
http://www.vickicallahan.com/vickicalla ... story.html

Hmmm...should this go in the "original research" section?

Joan

Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Minta Durfee and The Last of the Terrible Men

Postby Louie Despres » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:46 am

OK, so I've listened to the podcast a couple of times and have read both of the blog posts and still do not know what you are trying to achieve with this research. Can you give me a little more information?

Joan Myers
Associate

Postby Joan Myers » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:52 pm

Louie Despres wrote:OK, so I've listened to the podcast a couple of times and have read both of the blog posts and still do not know what you are trying to achieve with this research. Can you give me a little more information?

World peace? Seriously, I don't understand your question, could you be more specific?

Joan

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Joan Myers wrote:
Louie Despres wrote:OK, so I've listened to the podcast a couple of times and have read both of the blog posts and still do not know what you are trying to achieve with this research. Can you give me a little more information?

World peace? Seriously, I don't understand your question, could you be more specific?

Joan

Well, I don't think you are trying to achieve any kind of world peace and if you are, writing about Virginia Rappe may not be the best way to go about it.

That being said, are you writing to give more information about the trial itself or more about Ms. Rappe and the trial shall be part of that?

Joan Myers
Associate

Postby Joan Myers » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Louie Despres wrote:Well, I don't think you are trying to achieve any kind of world peace and if you are, writing about Virginia Rappe may not be the best way to go about it.

That being said, are you writing to give more information about the trial itself or more about Ms. Rappe and the trial shall be part of that?

I'm working on a new history of the Arbuckle scandal. Is that what you were looking for?

Joan

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Joan Myers wrote:I'm working on a new history of the Arbuckle scandal. Is that what you were looking for?
Joan

Well if that's all you're gonna give me, I guess that's all I need.

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:30 pm

Very interesting stuff, Joan. This is a nicely researched snapshot of some of the tangential characters involved in the famous scandal. Detail and minutia of this sort is noticably absent from most accounts of the affair, and suggest that yours may very well be the definitive reconstruction of the historical events when you finally have your epic tome hammered out.

Tom Reeder

Joan Myers
Associate

Postby Joan Myers » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Louie Despres wrote:
Joan Myers wrote:I'm working on a new history of the Arbuckle scandal. Is that what you were looking for?
Joan

Well if that's all you're gonna give me, I guess that's all I need.

Srsly, I'm not trying to be obstructive or play coy. That's the whole Magumbo, a new history. Was there something specific you wanted to know?

Joan

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:50 pm

Joan Myers wrote:Srsly, I'm not trying to be obstructive or play coy. That's the whole Magumbo, a new history. Was there something specific you wanted to know?

Joan

Yes, will you be just publishing the facts (as best known) or will there be a personal opinion of the trial and eventual verdict itself?

Joan Myers
Associate

Postby Joan Myers » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Louie Despres wrote:
Joan Myers wrote:Srsly, I'm not trying to be obstructive or play coy. That's the whole Magumbo, a new history. Was there something specific you wanted to know?

Joan

Yes, will you be just publishing the facts (as best known) or will there be a personal opinion of the trial and eventual verdict itself?

Well, yes, of course there will be opinion, there is always opinion in any historical work. The facts don't "speak for themselves," it's the historian who puts the facts in order and provides the analytical framework for the facts. No history is opinion-free. Are you trying to ask me if I'm going to parrot David Yallop and Andy Edmonds? No, I'm not going to do that.

Joan