El Brendel wishes you a Merry Christmas, 1945

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Louie Despres
Associate

El Brendel wishes you a Merry Christmas, 1945

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:20 am

While doing research on El Brendel, I uncovered a bunch of recordings he made at home with his wife Flo. These recordings are all over the place as far as medium recorded on goes, Some were acetates, some were pressed shellac, and some were actually pressed or cut on flexible cardboard. This one, posted for the holidays, sounds very good and has El (speaking in his REAL voice) and Flo with guests (featuring dancers Will and Gladys Ahern who were close friends). I believe drinks were consumed as it gets kinda saucy in a couple of places. Enjoy!!

http://www.elbrendel.com/2013/12/el-flo-gang-wishing-you-merry-christmas.html

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: El Brendel wishes you a Merry Christmas, 1945

Postby Ed Watz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:41 am

This is a precious little treasure, Louie -- and it was darned nice of you to share it with us -- thank you for this special "Christmas gift."

When El mentions that the last few Christmases weren't nearly as happy, he was probably thinking of the recent World War, but also his Columbia partner and friend Harry Langdon died during the 1944 holiday season.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Louie Despres
Associate

Re: El Brendel wishes you a Merry Christmas, 1945

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks Ed, I'm glad someone enjoyed it! As I said in the post there are plenty more of these records to share with folks, will be posting them from time to time.

Regarding the Langdon memory, it would be interesting to have something on record about El commenting on this but I just haven't found anything yet. More digging!