Brilliant or Blasphamy... You Decide

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

Re: Brilliant or Blasphamy... You Decide

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:34 am

Ernest Pagano had previously worked on Frank Capra's Columbia THE MATINEE IDOL (1928) starring Bessie Love. Comparing that film to Keaton's SPITE MARRIAGE (1929), you'll see close similarities in the scenes involving a badly-staged Civil War melodrama. Eleanor Keaton told me that Pagano and Buster hit it off at Metro, becoming fast friends. Pagano later scripted a number of Keaton's Educationals as well as reuniting Buster with Charlie Lamont at Universal in the forties. My dear pal Bill Cassara (author of first-rate books on Edgar Kennedy, Vernon Dent, plus a forthcoming volume on Ted Healy) and I are currently writing on a book on Buster Keaton's starring talkies; Pagano's collaborations with Buster will be covered in detail.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:Rob Farr Wrote:
Thank God W.C. Fields wasn't signed by MGM after the success of Copperfield (not that they wanted him). We never would have had The Bank Dick or Sucker.

Thank God too that Universal didn't need to force other comedians to make Abbott & Costello movies. That was a very fortuitous move.

Actually, they did. Universal recast Hugh O'Brian and Buddy Hackett in roles written for A&C in Fireman Save My Child.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Rob Farr wrote:
Universal recast Hugh O'Brian and Buddy Hackett in roles written for A&C in Fireman Save My Child.

Oh yes; I've never seen the film, but I remember reading that Bud & Lou can be still be seen in long shot. Was there any specific reason why they abandoned the project?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:Rob Farr wrote:
Universal recast Hugh O'Brian and Buddy Hackett in roles written for A&C in Fireman Save My Child.

Oh yes; I've never seen the film, but I remember reading that Bud & Lou can be still be seen in long shot. Was there any specific reason why they abandoned the project?

Lou Costello fell ill right at the beginning of production and Hackett and O'Brian were quick replacements. It's not that bad a film, actually more worth watching for Spike Jones and His City Slickers than Hackett and O'Brian.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Lou's illness with rheumatic fever were recurring more frequently into the early 1950's. Haven't seen FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD since I was a kid. Shown in 16mm in our sunday school auditorium as a special treat.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:06 am

I always thought that Spike Jones was topped billed in that movie.
Haven't seen it in eons.

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:52 am

A bit late to the party here -- but I can add that Pagano, with Jack Townley, also penned something like 20 of the William Goodrich (Arbuckle) directed Educational shorts circa 1931 / 32.