Cinevent Notes Past: MISSISSIPPI (1935) with W. C. Fields

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Cinevent Notes Past: MISSISSIPPI (1935) with W. C. Field

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Nope, THAT ROYLE GIRL, THE POTTERS, and the three with Chester Conklin, TWO FLAMING YOUTH, TILLIES PUNCTURED ROMANCE, AND FOOLS FOR LUCK are currently missing.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Those were the same films listed as 'lost' back in the 60's (writers rarely said 'missing'. It was pretty much a done deal back then), but despite constant new discoveries these many decades for many top comedians, nothing seems to change on Fields front. These films continue to be MIA.

I do keep seeing on the WEB that HIS LORDSHIP'S DILEMMA (15) was found in a private collection in Belgium back in 2006. Any truth to that?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:44 am

Gary Johnson wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:
Nope, THAT ROYLE GIRL, THE POTTERS, and the three with Chester Conklin, TWO FLAMING YOUTH, TILLIES PUNCTURED ROMANCE, AND FOOLS FOR LUCK are currently missing.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Those were the same films listed as 'lost' back in the 60's (writers rarely said 'missing'. It was pretty much a done deal back then), but despite constant new discoveries these many decades for many top comedians, nothing seems to change on Fields front. These films continue to be MIA.

I do keep seeing on the WEB that HIS LORDSHIP'S DILEMMA (15) was found in a private collection in Belgium back in 2006. Any truth to that?

If it did, I think it would be a rather common title by now, unless the collector is sitting on it, or making it up. I know of no witness to an actual sighting.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:13 am

That bit of misinformation originated at the SilentEra website: http://www.silentera.com/PSFL/data/H/Hi ... a1915.html

Note it doesn't say held in the Belgian archive, but in a collection. Yeah and I know a guy who knows a guy who has it on good authority that someone has (insert title of favorite lost film).
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:41 am

Yeah, I didn't take it too serious, for I too know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy....who knows a gal. And she runs HATS OFF every night in her basement.

Mike O'Regan

Postby Mike O'Regan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
I know everyone loves to trash Simon Louvish, and when he got into his “writing a book a year” mode, he deserved everything he got, but his Fields book was one of his first, and though it is not as good a book as Curtis’s, it did bring things farther along in getting the real story out, and it came out before Curtis’s book. I also like Louvish’s book on the Marx Brothers, MONKEY BUSINESS, because it is still the only book out on the Marx’s that details their whole careers in every media, and their early years as well. Louvish’s big interests are vaudeville and family ties, so go figure he’d excel with the Brothers Marx. After that, yes, his books fall below the mark rather fast, but still occasionally have things of interest. He had interesting things to day about Laurel and Hardy’s early years, but by the time he got to their film careers, it’s all quoting someone else. His Sennett book was worthless, as was his Demille book. I don’t think I’ve bothered with any others.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

I, too, liked Louvish's Marx book.

I've just embarked upon his Laurel & Hardy effort, and am hoping it'll be, at the very least, enjoyable. Whilst browsing in our local library today, I cam across it and I realised, I've never read anything much at all on those guys.

Mike O'Regan

Postby Mike O'Regan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Ummmm.....this Louvish chappie appears to be a tad obsessed with the homosexual and cross-gender overtones implied in Stan & Ollie's work.

Mike O'Regan

Postby Mike O'Regan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:49 pm

Regarding W.C. Fields, is Everson's book worth a look?

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Gary Johnson
Yeah, I didn't take it too serious, for I too know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy....who knows a gal. And she runs HATS OFF every night in her basement.

Could be BRA'S OFF.

Pasquale