THE E-FLAT MAN cast question

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

THE E-FLAT MAN cast question

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Bill Cassara and I are asking for the help of The Mafiosi regarding the cast of Buster Keaton's Educational short, THE E-FLAT MAN (1935). We've identified the following players who do not receive screen credit for this film: Matthew Betz (gangster); Bobby Barber and Al Bridge (gangster's henchmen); Al Thompson, Bud Jamison, and Dick Curtis (policemen). However, both Charles McAvoy and Jack Shutta receive billing in the screen cast credits. If anyone can identify what roles Messrs. McAvoy and Shutta play in this film we'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance -- Bill and Ed
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: THE E-FLAT MAN cast question

Postby Gary Johnson » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm not one to identify cast members unless I've already read it in a book, but I continue to contend that the shorts Keaton turned out at Educational in the mid-30's, shorts like HAYSEED ROMANCE, PALOOKA FROM PADUCAH, TARS AND STRIPES and BLUE BLAZES are the equal to the product being turned out by Roach & Columbia at the same time. GRAND SLAM OPERA and this short are his two high water marks, then the quality varies until his last short, LOVE NEST ON WHEELS, where he goes out on a high note.

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 pm

I think Ed's question has probably been answered privately, but just in case...

Charles McAvoy is the police sergeant on desk, and I think Jack Shutta is the railway worker who locks up Buster and Dorothea in the refrigerated car and later shoos them out.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:48 am

Many thanks, Ian, for your help! The KINO notes misidentify Broderick O'Farrell as the Desk Sergeant. We knew that wasn't so -- since O'Farrell portrays Dorothea Kent's father in a bit at the police station. As with any series, in these Keaton Educationals we've found players with almost no screen time who receive billing, whereas others with more substantial roles are uncredited.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)