Under the Radar

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Eric Stott
Cugine

Re: Under the Radar

Postby Eric Stott » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:20 am

ODOR IN THE COURT with Clark & McCullough cracks me up, but I know there are a few guys here who can't stand them.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:18 pm

I love Clark & McCullough, and there was one line in Alibi Bye Bye (screened at last year's Slapsticon) that had me on the floor. But help me out here Mafia, for the life of me I can't remember the line! It's right near the climax where Bobby Clark, after going out his way to cause as many farcical bedroom mixups as possible, turns to the camera and says something like "Well, we set that straight!" (That ain't the line, but I'm pretty sure it was something like it...I guess you had to be there.)

Anyone remember it?

Chris

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Clark: "Well, we did our best!"

Gary J.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:15 am

That's it!! :)

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:47 pm

Charley Chase (in my opinion, just beyond amazing in the silents) had some hits and some misses in the talkies.

One of Chase's last is "The Heckler" which was shown at Slapsticon a few years back. This one is truly funny. I hope that Columbia puts out their promised Chase set so that this short becomes commercially available on DVD.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:38 am

I'll agree that the Edgar Kennedy/Franklin Pangborn Next Door Neighbors is outstanding. Another Kennedy that I really love is Apple in His Eye (1941), with Charlie Hall as the obnoxious neighbor whom Edgar contually antagonizes while trying to make his own apple pies.

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:48 pm

BTW, I found a review that identifies the LOC Harry Sweet short that was shown at Slapsticon 2005 and referred to a few posts ago. A big plot element of the film is that Harry has an Aladdin's lamp. This review is from the 9/22/1923 Moving Picture World (pg. 364):

"THE TWO JOHNS Fox-Comedy - Two Reels)
Harry Sweet in a double role gets a generous number of laughs in this Imperial slapstick comedy. A country John is detailed to deliver an Aladdin's lamp and the detective who is to prevent this finds plenty of trouble when John's double appears. There is much falling out of windows and down stairways, relieved by some original touches. It is good amusement for the majority."

The info I've got on the film is:

THE TWO JOHNS (9/16/1923) Fox Imperial Comedy. Dir: Tom Buckingham. 2 reels. Cast: Harry Sweet, Bud Jamison, Blanche Payson, William Irving, Heinie Conklin, Hilliard Karr, Marvin Lobach, John Rand.

Director Tom Buckingham and Harry Sweet had been making shorts together for Century Comedies and jumped over to Fox for laugh fests like this one and ROARING LIONS ON A STEAMSHIP (5/13/1923), THE RAINSTORM (8/19/1923), and UP IN THE AIR (10/7/1923).

Steve