REG'LAR FELLERS (1941)

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Joe Migliore
Cugine

REG'LAR FELLERS (1941)

Postby Joe Migliore » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:40 am

I just enjoyed watching Grapevine's DVD of REG'LAR FELLERS, featuring Alfalfa Switzer (and Henry Lee, who brandished the paddle in MAIL & FEMALE). It's a clean, sharp print, with only a few splices; it must be hard to find great prints of PRC features. I can't help wondering if Hal Roach had made an Our Gang feature like this, instead of the period piece GENERAL SPANKY, if there might have been a few more Rascals features before he sold the series to MGM. Idle speculation, of course, but it does capture the "feel" of the Gang, if not the Roach atmosphere.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: REG'LAR FELLERS (1941)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:27 am

Joe Migliore wrote:I just enjoyed watching Grapevine's DVD of REG'LAR FELLERS, featuring Alfalfa Switzer (and Henry Lee, who brandished the paddle in MAIL & FEMALE). It's a clean, sharp print, with only a few splices; it must be hard to find great prints of PRC features. I can't help wondering if Hal Roach had made an Our Gang feature like this, instead of the period piece GENERAL SPANKY, if there might have been a few more Rascals features before he sold the series to MGM. Idle speculation, of course, but it does capture the "feel" of the Gang, if not the Roach atmosphere.

Yeah, REG'LAR FELLERS ain't bad, certainly better than their later GAS HOUSE KIDS attempts later on.

PRC 's are hard to find in good-quality originals, their negs went up in an East Coast lab fire back in the 50's, but you can find the occasional original floating around. I've always thought their product was no better or worse than Monograms, watchable pot-boilers that sometimes rise to the occasion, and the product does look better when seen in a decent print.

RICHARD M ROBERTS