TED HEALY NOBODY'S STOOGE by Bill Cassara

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

TED HEALY NOBODY'S STOOGE by Bill Cassara

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue May 12, 2015 8:07 am

http://www.amazon.com/Nobodys-Stooge-He ... ll+cassara

I’ve just recently finished Bill Cassara’s new book TED HEALY NOBODY’S STOOGE and I must say that it is an excellent read, each of Bill’s books has gotten better and better and this one is terrific and puts to bed a lot of the nonsense that has grown up around Healy over the years especially the Wallace Beery BS and the attempts to paint Healy as a generally nasty individual. Healy may have not been the most loveable individual in the world (he was a comedian, how many of them are really all that cute and cuddly in real life) but he had many friends and was well-respected in the Vaudeville and Film communities, especially by the men he helped make famous, The Three Stooges.

I’ve always though Healy and the Stooges were much funnier once they worked solo, Healy is terrific in his last film, the underrated HOLLYWOOD HOTEL, and Bill Cassara gives us much insight into the way he worked and his life lived, as well as how his work influenced many other comedians. I’ve heard that Bill has been getting unhappy letters from some Stooge fans who don’t really want to learn the truth and would rather hold on to the baloney and innuendo, if so, they should just grow up and realize that real life does not really need villains, and Healy was no more of one than anyone else, and you wouldn't have the Stooges without him.

A good book, I say check it out.

RICHARD M ROBERTS