So........would anybody be interested.....

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Gregg Rickman
Associate

Re: So........would anybody be interested.....

Postby Gregg Rickman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:11 pm

Louie, I would strongly urge you to write that book - Brendel's career cut across a lot of the mid-20th century and he did after all work with some major talents (Walsh, Sturges, Langdon come to mind off the top of my head). I'm pretty unfamiliar with his life, actually, and would find it fascinating reading.
Let's put it another way: If not you, then who? Who else both cares enough and knows enough to memorialize a comic you, obviously, like very much?

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Louie, I hope you are still working on your El Brendel book...I mean, look at my Magnum Opus - Wheeler & Woolsey, for corn sakes! McFarland published it, and it even returned as a paperback, people generally liked it, even those who dislike W&W's films (or W&W themselves). As Richard said, just about EVERYBODY deserves a book (though the Joy family might be precluded from the term "everybody"). El worked with many interesting people, and look at the show business venues he traveled...from two-a-day vaudeville to THE SHE CREATURE and beyond...

Gregg stated that if you don't finish the book, who will? There are lots of books on Laurel & Hardy, Keaton, Chaplin, etcetera, some "authored" by people who did nothing more than crib from earlier books and the likes of Bob Thomas. In comparison, your book will contain fresh, new insights...that's what we want to read about.

Please finish your book, you know that just about everyone here will buy it...and no one will scoff -- or laugh -- except at the punchlines...so for El and for us...do it!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Ed Watz wrote:Louie, I hope you are still working on your El Brendel book...

Ed, I guess I'm still working on it, little by little, but I think it might take a while. I don't know how to approach it yet and I am still collecting information as it comes in. Certainly gonna need the Mafia's help when the writing gets going. Thanks for the encouragement!

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 am

Anything written on El would be of interest.

His WB 1930's shorts are very good with THE LONESOME TRAILER standing out. Two were elaborate productions shot in the new 3 strip Technicolor process in 1934-5.

He was popular enough from his Fox films to warrant the extra expense.