So........would anybody be interested.....

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Louie Despres
Associate

So........would anybody be interested.....

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:42 pm

in reading a full length bio on El Brendel?? I am at a quandary in my research and wondering "what's it all for???" so should I continue towards a book or just keep it a fun thing?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: So........would anybody be interested.....

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Louie Despres wrote:in reading a full length bio on El Brendel?? I am at a quandary in my research and wondering "what's it all for???" so should I continue towards a book or just keep it a fun thing?

It would be on my stack of books just below the Ben Blue and Elsie Ames bios, which would be guaranteed to have uncracked spines and clean fresh pages till the day I'm planted. Then again, everyone deserves a damn biography, I guess.

But all of us should frequenty ask, " What's it all For?"

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:It would be on my stack of books just below the Ben Blue and Elsie Ames bios, which would be guaranteed to have uncracked spines and clean fresh pages till the day I'm planted. Then again, everyone deserves a damn biography, I guess.

But all of us should frequenty ask, " What's it all For?"

RICHARD M ROBERTS

BELOW Ben Blue??? I guess that's because of the Roach connection, but thanks Richard for your feedback, as I love the honesty. I don't think it would go over well and finding a publisher would be a bitch, but he still has a bit of relevance somewhere, right??

I just keep getting a bunch of people telling me "you should write a book!!!!" and I always say.........y................e..............a.............h.............

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:04 am

Personally, I’m still ambivalent about much of Brendel’s comedy but I’m a big fan of elbrendel.com, I’ve enjoyed all the stills and info you’ve unearthed and shared, Louie. His was a fascinating five-decade career with plenty of relevance for all those interested in entertainment history, and I for one think your compiled work, engaged as it is with his life, films and the industry context, would make for one heck of a book.

Eric Stott
Cugine

Postby Eric Stott » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:07 am

Yes, especially if it had good illustrations. There's plenty of color in his career and no mater what one might think of his comedy he worked in an interesting era and his career had some very high spots.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm with Ian, it probably would make a heck of a book.

Unfortunately, I've yet to see any of Brendel's work that's really "sold" me on him. Just a couple of his Columbia two-reelers (having him do Stooge material -- alone or with Harry Langdon -- just seems a terrible idea), an episode of The Gale Storm Show, and a few stray items like The Stolen Jools. (Where can I get a copy of LAFFING TIME?) I get the feeling that a little El goes a long way but, like Ian, somehow it feels like his life's story is more interesting than his films, and it needs to be told.

Chris

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Chris Seguin wrote:I'm with Ian, it probably would make a heck of a book.

Unfortunately, I've yet to see any of Brendel's work that's really "sold" me on him. Just a couple of his Columbia two-reelers (having him do Stooge material -- alone or with Harry Langdon -- just seems a terrible idea), an episode of The Gale Storm Show, and a few stray items like The Stolen Jools. (Where can I get a copy of LAFFING TIME?) I get the feeling that a little El goes a long way but, like Ian, somehow it feels like his life's story is more interesting than his films, and it needs to be told.

Chris

I have seen "Laffing Time" and it's spin-off "Tobo The Happy Clown" and although there are some great El and Gloria Jean moments, on the whole the movies are a DISMAL failure. I can't imagine ANYONE watching these EVER.

I think the real disservice is that most people only know his work from "Just Imagine" which I think is one of his worst performances.

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Louie,
Before you take the time and effort for a full length book, why not try an article in Classic Images first?

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Do it, Louis! Such a tome may help conjure up new interest in El's various works. Look to McFarland for publishing.

-- PG

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Bruce Calvert wrote:Louie,
Before you take the time and effort for a full length book, why not try an article in Classic Images first?

Bruce,
I certainly thought of that but I don't know if I feel like editing down the information I have AND I am no where near to being done with this thing yet. Getting in to this so late it's been hard to find some information, especially any meaningful interviews (if they exist), and I still have to see some films that are locked away at UCLA and the LOC.