Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 1892
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Geez, looks like if I want a good comedy conversation, I've got to go over to John McElwee's great blog GREENBRIAR PICTURE SHOWS to get it:

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot. ... heads.html


I mean seriously Folks, do ANY of you actually want to discuss anything comedically over here? I'm sorry we don't have "like" buttons so you can just see your name mentioned and pretend you've actually contributed something, you might actually have to type a few words and stress making the brain cells move to figure out an opinion, but it's been a bit quiet of late, and if I'm just talkin' to myself over here, screw it, we'll turn this into my blog and you can all just natter away 140 characters at a time in Facebook or Twitter Hell, or we could just shut down the whole damn club.

We put up rare goodies spotted on Youtube for your perusal, and plenty of you seem to be looking at them, how about actually chiming in with a thought or two about what you've seen. I'm doing that for you, I've got most of this stuff around the house, so maybe a little feedback would be nice in return. We've had new members in the last year who have joined, but haven't bothered to come on and say a damn thing. Why the hell are you here then if you didn't have anything to say?

Pick it up Gang, we don't have to do this.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Roots
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:40 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Jim Roots » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 am

Has the number of new postings dropped off the cliff since the new look of the site was implemented? Might be a link there. I find it a weird thing visually, quite off-putting. The design of the banner kind of defies logic: half the tabs are listed in a spot three inches diametrically opposite the place where the other half of the tabs are listed, with three more tabs swimming in isolation in the top right corner outside the banner.

If you thinned the banner to about an inch and a half, and lined up all of the tabs in the same area, it might look a bit less forbidding. There's a harsh and almost military atmosphere to that banner as it stands. Put it this way: it's not suggestive of a fun site at all. People looking to discuss comedy don't feel visually enticed by it.

And I'm still waiting for you to post an Al Joy film to prove he really existed.

Jim
When you're surrounded by vultures, playing dead is not a good strategy.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 1892
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Has the number of new postings dropped off the cliff since the new look of the site was implemented? Might be a link there. I find it a weird thing visually, quite off-putting. The design of the banner kind of defies logic: half the tabs are listed in a spot three inches diametrically opposite the place where the other half of the tabs are listed, with three more tabs swimming in isolation in the top right corner outside the banner.

If you thinned the banner to about an inch and a half, and lined up all of the tabs in the same area, it might look a bit less forbidding. There's a harsh and almost military atmosphere to that banner as it stands. Put it this way: it's not suggestive of a fun site at all. People looking to discuss comedy don't feel visually enticed by it.

And I'm still waiting for you to post an Al Joy film to prove he really existed.

Jim



Whining and nitpicking does not constitute discussion, not over here.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Roots
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:40 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Jim Roots » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:59 pm

That was a speculative suggestion that perhaps the visual design is turning away people. But when you label it "whining and nitpicking" instead of explaining why you chose this particular design or looking into the possibility of improving it, you're giving a good example of why people aren't bothering to post anything on this site. Why should they post when they know Richard Roberts is just going to jump on them in response?

Jim
When you're surrounded by vultures, playing dead is not a good strategy.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 1892
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Jim Roots wrote:That was a speculative suggestion that perhaps the visual design is turning away people. But when you label it "whining and nitpicking" instead of explaining why you chose this particular design or looking into the possibility of improving it, you're giving a good example of why people aren't bothering to post anything on this site. Why should they post when they know Richard Roberts is just going to jump on them in response?

Jim


I wasn't jumping on "people" Jim, just you.

The website is the design we are stuck with, thanks to one of our number allowing their email to be hacked, which then allowed their hacked email addy to send a virus to hack our site. The only fix was to update the site template, and this look was designed by some computer nerd with no visual design concept. Paul Gierucki actually spent several weeks trying to make it look as much like the old version as the new "improved" template would allow. The fact that it annoyed me for only about ten minutes before I realized I liked several of it's features, including the fact that the type is larger (good for us geezers aging eyes) means that most folk probably shouldn't be bothered at all, unless they are that seriously rigid they cannot cope with change in any way, shape, or form. The actual changes mean one must actually look slightly upward and to the right about four inches to find the other categories and move their wrist about an inch upward diagonally right to move the cursor to click on them, only one too lazy to do so would have problems with it, then again, that is the same sort of laziness that would stop someone from the few mouse-clicks one needs to move from Facebook to the Internet.

I knew it was a mistake to ask for more discussion, the ones with the least to offer are always the first and foremost to show up and offer it.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Joe Migliore » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:44 am

Jim Roots wrote:
Has the number of new postings dropped off the cliff since the new look of the site was implemented? Might be a link there. I find it a weird thing visually, quite off-putting. The design of the banner kind of defies logic: half the tabs are listed in a spot three inches diametrically opposite the place where the other half of the tabs are listed, with three more tabs swimming in isolation in the top right corner outside the banner.


I would hope something that superficial wouldn't have any measurable impact on the site. I think the election may be taking up more time and attention than usual; I plan on revisiting these shorts in that sweet time between Thanksgiving and Christmas when there will be the time to play the Tarbox tapes, and enjoy a film festival.

Richard, isn't there a Pollard & Loback reworking of HATS OFF?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 1892
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:57 am

Joe Migliore wrote:Richard, isn't there a Pollard & Loback reworking of HATS OFF?


I've heard it said, but I've never seen it, I think they're repossessing a piano in DOUBLE TROUBLE, but that would make it more a remake of BACON GRABBERS than HATS OFF.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Joe Migliore » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:35 am

Thank you; I just saw an earlier post where Tommie Hicks asked the same question. What made me think of it was a blog somebody started to raise awareness of HATS OFF. Well...it could happen.

http://lostlaurelandhardyfilm.blogspot.co.uk

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 1892
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows: STOP, LOOK, AND LAUGH (1960)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:51 am

Joe Migliore wrote:Thank you; I just saw an earlier post where Tommie Hicks asked the same question. What made me think of it was a blog somebody started to raise awareness of HATS OFF. Well...it could happen.

http://lostlaurelandhardyfilm.blogspot.co.uk



Well, there's a lot of gossip about, and everyone loves to obsess about "lost" films. My question would be why would MGM, who wouldn't have had the negative to HATS OFF in 1945 anyway, have sent it off to a lab in New York to help a film being shot by a studio in Hollywood? Plenty of labs in Hollywood.

The other irony I find is that the minute a "lost" film is found, everyone forgets about it and takes it for granted. Having had a hand in the rediscovery of various "lost" films, I chuckle now when people dismiss common old films like THE HOMEOWNER, THE SLEEPING PORCH, A THIEF CATCHER, WAY OF ALL PANTS, etc. It is good to recall all of the films once thought "lost" that are now available to be seen, and be happy that things do indeed turn up all of the time.

BATTLE OF THE CENTURY?...........eh, been there, done that.


RICHARD M ROBERTS


Return to “SOUND COMEDY MAIN”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest