"Wheeler & Woolsey" now an eBook

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

"Wheeler & Woolsey" now an eBook

Postby Ed Watz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:04 am

If anyone is interested, McFarland has just issued the ol' Wheeler & Woolsey book on Kindle:

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Woolsey-Vaudeville-1929-1937-McFarland-ebook/dp/B01N9JCHV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486287688&sr=8-1&keywords=wheeler+woolsey+vaudeville+duo

478096165s.jpg
478096165s.jpg (87.01 KiB) Viewed 9093 times
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Pasquale Ventura

Re: "Wheeler & Woolsey" now an eBook

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

This is an excellent book very well researched and written, supplemented by interviews giving delightful informative insights into each film and production of them. I received it as a Christmas gift a year ago and really enjoyed reading it. It's one of those well written books you can't put down once you start-- even better, one of those books worth re-reading over and over.

Having been introduced to Wheeler and Whoolsey back in the early 90's on TCM's regular showings, they are an enjoyable comedy team. Now having seen most of their movies and recently collected most released on DVD collections, many are funny and enjoyable. Among my personal favorites, HIPS, HIPS HOORAY, THE RAINMAKERS, PEACHO RENO, DIPLOMANIACS, THE NITWITS, HALF SHOT AT SUNRISE--even the movies that are not as funny as some of their others are still fun to watch because of Wheeler and Whoolsey's breezy good natured characters. They appear to take everything in stride that make even MUMMY'S BOYS fun time watching.

This a is the perfect addition to classic comedy fans book shelf, Ed Watz did a first class job in his informative Wheeler and Whoolsey book.

Pasquale Ventura

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: "Wheeler & Woolsey" now an eBook

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks, Pasquale - I'm very glad that you've enjoyed the book! It was written in those pre-internet days - when we had to do a lot of squinting at out-of-focus microfilm viewers. Having access to the RKO production files was a great help, incidentally so were all the Hollywood veterans who generously shared their memories.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)