Sennett 1930/31 Color shorts

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Uli Ruedel
Capo

Sennett 1930/31 Color shorts

Postby Uli Ruedel » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Here's an interesting question which I'm posting on behalf of fellow color film researcher, James Layton. Maybe Richard or Brent, or anyone else of course, can chime in?

James wonders: "I understand few of the Sennett Color shorts from 1930-31 survive now. Does anyone know which ones do and where? There are some 16mm Eastmancolor prints of THE BLUFFER amongst collectors I believe. I am really curious about the Mack Sennett Brevities. Is there a definitive list of titles that were released in the series? I know originally 12 were announced, but were that many actually made and released?"

Thanks!

Uli

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Sennett 1930/31 Color shorts

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Uli Ruedel wrote:Here's an interesting question which I'm posting on behalf of fellow color film researcher, James Layton. Maybe Richard or Brent, or anyone else of course, can chime in?

James wonders: "I understand few of the Sennett Color shorts from 1930-31 survive now. Does anyone know which ones do and where? There are some 16mm Eastmancolor prints of THE BLUFFER amongst collectors I believe. I am really curious about the Mack Sennett Brevities. Is there a definitive list of titles that were released in the series? I know originally 12 were announced, but were that many actually made and released?"

Thanks!

Uli

THE BLUFFER definitely survives (I havd two prints of this myself) and I know MOVIETOWN also exists (I have a video copy of this). A good number of the Sennettcolor sequences in silent shorts like THE CAMPUS VAMP, MATCHMAKING MAMAS, LOVE AT FIRST FLIGHT, etc. also survive. I'm sure Brent will weigh in with more detail.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Campus Vamp and Matchmaking Mama were released on DVD at least ten years ago with the restored Nothing Sacred (1937). That DVD is way out of print though because Lumivision went out of business. The two-color sequences were included on the disc (and Nothing Sacred was in gorgeous Technicolor.) They may have been released on laserdisc also.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Uli, other than the two Richard mentioned (THE BLUFFER and MOVIE-TOWN) I haven't seen any other surviving films in Sennett-Color. A couple that were filmed in Sennett-Color survive in black and white. The silent Sennett Girl comedies that survive with the color tableauxs are actually straight Technicolor (prior to Sennett's short-lived and financially draining endeavor of operating his own color lab). My Sennett book (of which I am just finishing the herculean process of indexing--which has left my eyeballs somewhere between Ben Turpin's and George Rowe's) will have the details on that.

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Postby Uli Ruedel » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks guys, and Brent, good luck on wrapping up your eagerly awaited book!

Uli

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:34 am

Bruce Calvert wrote:Campus Vamp and Matchmaking Mama were released on DVD at least ten years ago with the restored Nothing Sacred (1937). That DVD is way out of print though because Lumivision went out of business. The two-color sequences were included on the disc (and Nothing Sacred was in gorgeous Technicolor.)

They may have been released on laserdisc also.

Yes, they did come out on laser disc (Lumivision 93186) in 1993, and the disc also included the trailer for NOTHING SACRED and some Gable & Lombard home movies.