Okay-----NOW!: CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME ONE 1930-31

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Re: Okay-----NOW!: CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME ONE 1930-31

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:41 pm

My Chase DVD set arrived yesterday and the look of these classic shorts is nothing short of excellent, especially on my 65" 4K Sony flat screen! Who needs Blu-Ray?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Nice words from John McElwee at Greenbriar Picture Shows:

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot. ... n-dvd.html

Thanks John!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 pm

A good review from THE HITLESS WONDER MOVIE BLOG:

http://dandayjr35.blogspot.com/2018/02/ ... lkies.html

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Another thumbs-up review from Cinema Sentries:

http://cinemasentries.com/review/charle ... -word-yes/

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:02 pm

The sales and responses for the Charley Chase set have been very heartening, the official reviews have been a bit slow in coming because we were selling the discs so fast we didn't have any screener copies to send to reviewers until last week.

Of course, most of what little idiot grumbling has arisen came from Nitwitvile, but a lot of actual good words even came from that silly place. Bob Lipton, who loves to run to the imd(um)b every time he sees a silent comedy to announce that it isn't funny(like he'd know) gave a sort-of-grudging good review----I think, and Mr. Bigsnot (who has density issues) whined a bit more---I think---not really paying that hard of attention.

Fifteen five-star reviews on Amazon, and two really stupid ones, one nameless one who finds the comedies "primitive and unfunny" and another who was mad that the post office mussed-up his copy and it came too slowly and couldn't figure out that The Sprocket Vault had no control of that but bum-rapped us for it anyway.

So far, so good, onward we go to the next project.......whatever that may be.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:30 pm

A review from Leonard Maltin:

http://leonardmaltin.com/charley-chase- ... -todd-too/

RICHARD M ROBERTS

David Pickard

Postby David Pickard » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 pm

I must admit that Charley Chase is a new discovery to me - I'm a big Laurel & Hardy fan and purchased this DVD mostly out of curiosity. But wow! - I'm very impressed, really enjoyed the films. The guys at Sprocket Vault have done a truly outstanding job as always - really clean prints, good clear audio. It's great that this stuff is coming out and in such good quality too. Now looking forward to the next volume!

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:16 am

One thing I noticed: In ALL TEED UP is that Chase's voice dubbed over soda jerk Harry Bowen?

Frank Thompson

Postby Frank Thompson » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 am

So far I've watched only the first disc, but to be fair I've watched it twice, once straight and once with a side of Richard M. Roberts. I can't decide which way is more enjoyable.

The quality of every print I've seen so far has been at least fine and at best gorgeous. I have only one regret and that is that Thelma Todd isn't in every single film, but I suppose there was little that The Sprocket Vault could do about it.

I'm looking forward to Disc Two. If it's half as good as Disc One, it'll still be wonderful and then some.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 am

I'm finding the Chases just keep getting better and better -- ONE OF THE SMITHS and SKIP THE MALOO both just made me grin like an idiot throughout, and THE PANIC IS ON is a hoot -- with a really fantastic tracking shot as Charley walks down a hallway from one office to the next.
My habit is to watch a film in the morning with my coffee and cornflakes, then listen to Richard's commentary on my drive to work (being freshly familiar with the film). MY one regret is that I'm almost done with my morning ritual ... what audio will accompany my commute if not Mr. Robert's sonorous and informative tones?