Some Paramount Sound Comedies

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Cole Johnson
Associate

Re: Some Paramount Sound Comedies

Postby Cole Johnson » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 pm

Hello, everyone---Here's another Christie talkie to add to the "existing" list: At least reel two of HOT LEMONADE (29), with Johnny Arthur, Louise Fazenda, and Walter Hiers. ----Cole Johnson.
Attachments
hot lemonade 72127.jpg
HOT LEMONADE (Christie/Paramount 5-25-29)
hot lemonade 72127.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 12496 times
Last edited by Cole Johnson on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Birchard

Postby Bob Birchard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:11 am

Joe Moore wrote:Nice job, Frank.

I wonder how many of these films are extant? I know I've only seen a few of them.

Joe Moore

I have prints of Faro Nell, Dangerous Females (both common), The Sleeping Porch (now relatively common) and also He Did His Best and His Honor, The Mayor (old original prints--that I believe are relatively rare)

Bruce Calvert
Associate

Postby Bruce Calvert » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:51 pm

Here's a still from The Sleeping Porch (1929) with Raymond Griffith and Barbara Leonard.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:54 am

I don't believe Joe Franklin passed on...he used to show some of the Paramount Christies (that's how I saw POST MORTEMS on his "Memory Lane" TV show in the 1960s). Joe had a huge collection of shorts that he picked up for peanuts from the Select Film Library: Hal Roach Pathes like DON KEY, SON OF BURRO and STARVATION BLUES, almost the entire run of the Sennett "Smith Family" series, Lloyd Hamilton Educational talkies, etcetera. In the late 1970s Franklin was still showing films but he may have gotten his wrist slapped, running Screen Gems prints of non-Stooge Columbias without clearance (Rohauer snitched on him to Alan Twyman, who alerted whomever owned those shorts at that time).
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:10 am

I checked my 1936 MEET THE MISSUS titled print and the opening shot is the one pictured of Gleason trying to pick up a chorus girl.

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 pm

SAILORS BEWARE is a hilarious 1933 precode Phil Ryan Paramount directed by Del Lord. Sailors Pallette & Catlett are chased by Dorothy Granger's gang for a winning lottery ticket. See my IMDb review for more details. NOTE: Filming was at the same lake as Men O'War. One of my favorite 2 reelers.

ADAM'S EVE is a funny 1929 precode Christie Paramount starring Johnny Arthur. After drinking too much, Johnny ends up in the wrong apt.
NOTE: This is the only Christie with background music throughout that I've ever seen from the 1929-30 barren track period.