ATOLL K coming to blu-ray from the BFI

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Chris Seguin

ATOLL K coming to blu-ray from the BFI

Postby Chris Seguin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:16 pm

The British Film Institute is officially releasing Laurel & Hardy's final theatrical film in a 2K HD restoration from a complete nitrate print in their holdings.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JJPCT13? ... HUBYOkDoZw

I'm pleased and proud to have played a small role in this, alongside Uli Ruedel, Paul Gierucki, Glenn Mitchell, Norbert Aping, David Wyatt and others too numerous to mention. And speaking of too numerous to mention, check out the bonus material!

And if anyone's going to chime in with "Oh, this is too sad they look so old and sick" -- well go for it, but I'm not listening. This final hurrah for the boys is finally getting the respect it deserves, not the dollar DVD treatment.

Go buy this and show some love for Laurel & Hardy and the BFI.

Chris

David Pickard

Re: ATOLL K coming to blu-ray from the BFI

Postby David Pickard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks for posting this Chris - it's really good news!!

I saw this at the BFI a few years ago and have ben hoping for a commercial release ever since, and now it's finally here and with good bonus material too. I know this film is much reviled but personally I quite like it. In my opinion it's certainly not as bad as their Fox material.

Anyway, I've already placed my order.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks David. The transfer looks stellar -- it's a film I like a lot, and is definitely the best of their post-Roach features. This is one well worth having!
Chris

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Are the bonus materials in HD?

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:23 am

Hmmmm...More L&H Blu-ray:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JG786KX/

The ad says all regions.

Also a little bird told me all the Fox features will be released in a Bluray set in January.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:17 pm

A good copy of ATOLL k is indeed good news, it is another film that has been way too picked on by the depressives, just get over the way Stan and Babe look, remind yourself that Stan had nearly another fifteen years to go and then sit back and enjoy the relaxed warmth the two characters developed further as they aged, and finding themselves in the Atomic Age. No Fox retreading of old material here, this is our only chance to see how Laurel and Hardy would have dealt with the 1950's on somewhat their own terms, and there are some good Stan Laurel/Monty Collins gags here. I agree with Chris on this one, there is more to like here than dislike.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:44 pm

This L&H Bluray is NOT an "All Region" disc as advertised.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JG786KX/

UPDATE:

Friends are telling me this British Universal release does not contain High Def Transfers of these films, merely up conversions of standard def transfers.

What an opportunity lost. This set was likely rushed out to tie in with the new L&H movie. At least I still have my 16mms.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:53 pm

It's telling that the ATOLL K blu-ray is outselling the five-feature "Best Of" blu-ray set on amazon.co.uk

ATOLL K is #88 in DVD & Blu-ray > Comedy
BEST OF is #427 in DVD & Blu-ray > Comedy

Cracking the Top 100 is not bad at all for "Laurel & Hardy's worst film ever"!