Saw STAN AND OLLIE last night.....

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Chris Seguin

Re: Saw STAN AND OLLIE last night.....

Postby Chris Seguin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Well that’s my point exactly. Besides the aforementioned “My Darling is a Kangaroo” and a 1948 blurb about Roach wanting to sign them for a series of 12-minute TV shorts, I can’t think of a single Hollywood offer they got between 1945-51. Hardy might’ve been in demand; Laurel & Hardy weren’t.

Now you have me picturing L&H working with Ed Wood.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:34 am

Chris Seguin wrote:Well that’s my point exactly. Besides the aforementioned “My Darling is a Kangaroo” and a 1948 blurb about Roach wanting to sign them for a series of 12-minute TV shorts, I can’t think of a single Hollywood offer they got between 1945-51. Hardy might’ve been in demand; Laurel & Hardy weren't.

Which says the problem was Laurel, Babe was always more connected with the Hollywood establishment (hanging out at the Track can do that).

I've always wondered myself why Stan and Babe didn't get a film together in England, or even appear on the BBC (wasn't there at least one BBC TV interview apart from the THIS IS MUSIC HALL film piece that doesn't exist today?). I mean, even Bela Lugosi got a film in England when his DRACULA tour fell apart, and Keaton did television when he was in Britain. I guess it makes me ask a question I don't think I've ever really looked into, which is how did ATOLL K/ROBINSON CRUESOELAND do financially in England and Europe?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:14 pm

I’d say a lot of this was indeed driven by Mr. Laurel; no doubt Babe was just seeking a paycheque while Stan was seeking creative freedom and a salary he considered worthy of the team. It seemed to get contentious around the time of “The Fighting Kentuckian”; according to AJ Marriot’s book “Laurel & Hardy – The US Tours”, Hardy was reportedly being considered for a series of films co-starring Charles Coburn (AP story April 9, 1949)

Then there’s this missive, also from AJ’s book, dated 14th Feb. ’49:
“My Dear Larry: Am sorry that Benny Benefico disclosed a near fact before it was definite. However I am trying my utmost to avoid a separation of the team regardless of our personal grievances. Anyway, it is entirely up to Mr. Hardy. I expect to get a showdown this week.” So much for two guys WHO NEVER EVER FOUGHT A DAY IN THEIR LIVES.
As for doing television in the UK, there’s this in a letter to Betty Healy dated Dec. 6, 1951: “…expect to leave for England in February for personal appearances also Television shorts over there.” http://www.lettersfromstan.com/stan-1951-12.html That’s about the only thing I’ve ever heard of along those lines.

I think ATOLL K did pretty okay business in the UK (there's newsreel footage of L&H with a bunch of hula girls and Babe saying "I think I'll take the girls to see Robinson Crusoeland", to which Stan replies, "I think that's a good idea" on the new BFI ATOLL K blu-ray). Apparently the B.O. was disappointing in France but strong in Germany and The Netherlands. Norbert Aping details a lot of it in his making-of book.