Article by Bert Wheeler's great grandson: "The Other Wheeler & Woolsey"

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

Article by Bert Wheeler's great grandson: "The Other Wheeler & Woolsey"

Postby Ed Watz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:33 am

Patrick Laurence, great grandson of Bert Wheeler, has written a fascinating account of the lifelong friendship between Bert and Bob's wives and the extended Wheeler and Woolsey families. As he recounts in his well-researched and delightful article,

"While Bert and Bob’s partnership ended when Bob died in 1938, the friendship between Bernice [Wheeler] and Mignonne [Woolsey] endured long after the names of Wheeler and Woolsey disappeared from the theater marquee. For over fifty years, 'the other Wheeler and Woolsey' lived in close proximity, enjoyed each other’s company, and kept tabs on the other’s family. Growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, I had little idea that these two ladies, each of whom lived right next to me, had once rubbed shoulders with some of the most famous people in show business..."

The piece is well worth checking out and includes many candid photographs:

https://medium.com/@patricklaurence/the ... 6b946a451a
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)