SILLY BILLIES - Dorothy Lee's home movies - on location - Dec. 1935

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

SILLY BILLIES - Dorothy Lee's home movies - on location - Dec. 1935

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 am

Actress Dorothy Lee's 16mm home movies filmed on location in the Malibu Mountains for the Wheeler & Woolsey comedy SILLY BILLIES, December 1935. Featured along with Dorothy are Harry Woods (Dottie sits on his lap), Bert Wheeler (in Native American warpaint), and director Fred Guiol (who obligingly spanks Dottie for the camera). I wonder if Freddy reminisced about his little Western when he was George Stevens' A.D. on that big Western, GIANT...we'll never know!

https://youtu.be/n--tmyGpTt8
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: SILLY BILLIES - Dorothy Lee's home movies - on location - Dec. 1935

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:55 am

And she just as obligingly tells him, “That’s enough”. Never realized how much Guiol looks like Ward Bond.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:59 pm

Rob Farr wrote:And she just as obligingly tells him, “That’s enough”. Never realized how much Guiol looks like Ward Bond.

Twenty years later, and to the right of the sign, here's Fred Guiol looking much the same, possibly amused by James Dean's antics during the making of GIANT. John McElwee shared this candid on his terrific Greenbriar Picture Shows website several weeks ago.

Dean n Fred.jpg
Dean n Fred.jpg (222.01 KiB) Viewed 7689 times

Here's the link to the article (stimulating reading, as always at Greenbriar):

https://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot ... s-now.html
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:45 pm

Just now my son was watching SAFETY LAST! and who shows up on screen but young ol' Fred Guiol, as a department store employee. Guiol through the ages!

Fred Guiol & Harold SAFETY LAST!.jpeg
Fred Guiol & Harold SAFETY LAST!.jpeg (165.77 KiB) Viewed 7638 times