DON'T DIVORCE HIM (1931) ???

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

DON'T DIVORCE HIM (1931) ???

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey Gang,

I came across a silent print of what appears to be an early talkie short that looks extremely interesting. It features Clyde Cook, Edgar Kennedy, Vernon Dent, John T. Murray, and Tiny Lipson. It's an obvious remake of SAPPY SERVICE (1929) with Bobby Vernon. I'm thinking this is DON'T DIVORCE HIM (1931) which Christie made for Educational. Anybody else got something on this?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob King
Associate

Re: DON'T DIVORCE HIM (1931) ???

Postby Rob King » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:29 pm

Don't know if this helps any, but the plot description of Don't Divorce Him in Motion Picture Herald (5/2/31, 46) reads:

"Clyde Cook almost loses his job when, as the clerk in the office of a divorce lawyer, he persuades women to return to their husbands, while the boss is out. He is given a chance, however, if he is successful in bringing a famous doctor into court by a certain hour. His experiences in the hospital, being thrown out several times, and running about in night clothes and various disguises, is amusing enough. When he gets his man, he spoils it for the lawyer again, and is chased down the street in nightcap and gown for the fadeout. Several good laugh spots."

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:08 pm

Rob King wrote:Don't know if this helps any, but the plot description of Don't Divorce Him in Motion Picture Herald (5/2/31, 46) reads:

"Clyde Cook almost loses his job when, as the clerk in the office of a divorce lawyer, he persuades women to return to their husbands, while the boss is out. He is given a chance, however, if he is successful in bringing a famous doctor into court by a certain hour. His experiences in the hospital, being thrown out several times, and running about in night clothes and various disguises, is amusing enough. When he gets his man, he spoils it for the lawyer again, and is chased down the street in nightcap and gown for the fadeout. Several good laugh spots."

Dat be it! But I hate to say I had already looked it up in Bill Cassara's Edgar Kennedy book and it was there, so I'm sure it'll make it into his Vernon Dent book as well. It works just fine as a silent, so I'm going to have to dig up a sound print and see if it works as well as a talkie. Thanks for the synopsis.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Bill Cassara
Associate

Postby Bill Cassara » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:26 am

Richard,
That is a terrific find to locate "Don't Divorce Him" in any format. I was always told this was a missing film. The Educational Press Release on this title has the usual oversenastional write-ups and details. Clyde Cook, the star, received most of the attention. Those two supporting chaps: Kennedy and Dent, were mentioned in the release. Of all things to write about, they marveled at the fact that both actors hail from "California," wow, that was a hot one. And if that wasn't enough of an association for you, the release claims that both gentlemen were similar in hight and weight...hmmmm. Yeah, 6'3" and 5'9," practically twins.

Good news about the Vernon Dent book; it's all indexed, proofed and ready for printing. Don't know the exact date yet.