George Jessel?

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Dino Everett
Associate

Re: George Jessel?

Postby Dino Everett » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:40 am

Haha..... This is so funny, I mean I'll give him props for Norma Talmadge, but that's about it... Once at UCLA I had to transfer Lucky Boy (1928) for a researcher and besides thinking it was an exact duplicate for Jazz Singer, I thought the title said it all....He was a Lucky Boy.......In a weird personal analogy. He kind of reminds me of Jonathan Winters.......When I was a kid I could listen to his albums and laugh hysterically, then once I listened as an adult and I thought.... What did I think was so funny? His humor did not cross beyond the generation that it was made in... I think Jessel was one of those guys that became a name by never going away, if someone wanted a singer, he was a singer, if someone wanted a comic, he was a comic, an interviewer, he'd interview....In some ways he never left the circuit.....

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: George Jessel?

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:24 am

Dino Everett wrote:Haha..... This is so funny, I mean I'll give him props for Norma Talmadge, but that's about it... Once at UCLA I had to transfer Lucky Boy (1928) for a researcher and besides thinking it was an exact duplicate for Jazz Singer, I thought the title said it all....He was a Lucky Boy.......In a weird personal analogy. He kind of reminds me of Jonathan Winters.......When I was a kid I could listen to his albums and laugh hysterically, then once I listened as an adult and I thought.... What did I think was so funny? His humor did not cross beyond the generation that it was made in... I think Jessel was one of those guys that became a name by never going away, if someone wanted a singer, he was a singer, if someone wanted a comic, he was a comic, an interviewer, he'd interview....In some ways he never left the circuit.....

LUCKY BOY! Oh My God......flashbacks......and now ladies and gentlemen, six more reprises of "My Mother's Eyes"!

(Runs from the room screaming)

RICHARD M ROBERTS