Lou Costello on "Wagon Train" - March 2

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Chris Seguin

Lou Costello on "Wagon Train" - March 2

Postby Chris Seguin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Looks like they'll be broadcasting Lou's appearance on WAGON TRAIN on something called "Encore Westerns". I'm not familiar with this channel up here in Canada...we've got Mounties, not cowboys.

Lou Costello
Encore Westerns
WAGON TRAIN The Tobias Jones Story (1958), 3/2 5:48P
Encore MoviePlex
WAGON TRAIN The Tobias Jones Story (1958), 3/2 6:48P

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Lou Costello on "Wagon Train" - March 2

Postby Rob Farr » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:15 am

It's awful. Lou at his most mawkish.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Worse than "Dance With Me Henry"? is that possible??

Worse than Jerry Lewis in "The Jazz Singer"?

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 pm

I've never seen Dance with Me Henry, but Lou certainly pushes the limits of nausea in 30-Foot Bride of Candy Rock. Jerry Lewis in The Jazz Singer? You mean Danny Thomas? Neil Diamond? Or is Lewis's Jazz Singer the lost masterpiece he made after The Day the Clown Cried?
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Rob Farr wrote:I've never seen Dance with Me Henry, but Lou certainly pushes the limits of nausea in 30-Foot Bride of Candy Rock. Jerry Lewis in The Jazz Singer? You mean Danny Thomas? Neil Diamond? Or is Lewis's Jazz Singer the lost masterpiece he made after The Day the Clown Cried?

No, Chris means Jerry Lewis, who starred in a television version of THE JAZZ SINGER in the late fifties that knocks Lou Costello out of the Universe for nauseatingly maudlin. Lewis even recorded a single of "Rock-a-Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody" that should have ended his career right then and there, but I believe amazingly sold rather well.

I don't think Costello was particularly nauseating in 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK, he's amazingly subdued, and looks ill, but his performance is allright. And he's working with great foils like Gale Gordon in it. No classic, but a strange little film indeed.

RICHARD M ROBERTS