Langdon filmography correction

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Louie Despres
Associate

Langdon filmography correction

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Nothing EARTH SHATTERING here, so Richard, you will not lose any sleep! I am writing on an inquiry from Rich Finegan about the 1944 short “Mopey Dope” which will be showing at Capitolfest this year. Rich originally found this lobby card:

and asked me why Brendel wasn’t listed on the card when he is listed as appearing in the short. I replied I had no idea and when I got home I would check the “archives” for photos or lobbies. Strangely, I didn’t have any, but I did have a dialogue continuity script from the NY State archives where only 5 characters are listed:

Edwin
Louise
Mrs. Ryan
Mr. Ryan
Man

While reading the script there is no Axel/Brendel character anywhere in there and Columbia usually wrote out the dialogue in “Brendel Swedish”.

I know a nitrate print of this short sold in the UK last year and I contacted the seller to see if I could get any info on the short, but he had no idea.

So what does this all mean? I guess the answer is I’m now about 95% sure the filmographies are incorrect and El Brendel does not appear in the short and it is in fact, a Langdon solo. Rich has informed me that mistakes like this have been made in the past (with a Shemp short and a Musical Novelties) and this is just another example.

Like I said, nothing earth shattering but just wanted to share.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Langdon filmography correction

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Louie Despres wrote:Nothing EARTH SHATTERING here, so Richard, you will not lose any sleep! I am writing on an inquiry from Rich Finegan about the 1944 short “Mopey Dope” which will be showing at Capitolfest this year. Rich originally found this lobby card:

and asked me why Brendel wasn’t listed on the card when he is listed as appearing in the short. I replied I had no idea and when I got home I would check the “archives” for photos or lobbies. Strangely, I didn’t have any, but I did have a dialogue continuity script from the NY State archives where only 5 characters are listed:

Edwin
Louise
Mrs. Ryan
Mr. Ryan
Man

While reading the script there is no Axel/Brendel character anywhere in there and Columbia usually wrote out the dialogue in “Brendel Swedish”.

I know a nitrate print of this short sold in the UK last year and I contacted the seller to see if I could get any info on the short, but he had no idea.

So what does this all mean? I guess the answer is I’m now about 95% sure the filmographies are incorrect and El Brendel does not appear in the short and it is in fact, a Langdon solo. Rich has informed me that mistakes like this have been made in the past (with a Shemp short and a Musical Novelties) and this is just another example.

Like I said, nothing earth shattering but just wanted to share.

You know, I think you have something here. The two stills I have for the film only have Langdon in them too. It is pleasant news to discover that there is one LESS Langdon-Brendel film.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Finding out that MOPEY DOPE is the last solo Harry Langdon starrer might not shatter the earth, but I think it is darned significant, Louie.

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:05 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:It is pleasant news to discover that there is one LESS Langdon-Brendel film.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Yup, I certainly realize that in 99% most people's eyes that Brendel sucked the nut, but there is still some new info that we haven't known before that needs to be documented.