Our Own Joe Adamson Gets a Shout-Out

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Our Own Joe Adamson Gets a Shout-Out

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:14 pm

"Groucho, Harpo, Chico and Sometimes Zeppo" is listed among the best film books ever written in Matt Zoller Seitz's article in Salon: "Film Criticism 101: The Essential Library".
Joes's page is here: http://www.salon.com/2011/10/21/film_cr ... de_show/4/
And the full article, presented as a slide show, is here: http://www.salon.com/2011/10/21/film_cr ... singleton/
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Re: Our Own Joe Adamson Gets a Shout-Out

Postby Michael J Hayde » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 pm

No debate there. Best-written book on classic comedy to date. Still relevant and inspirational. The chapter on "The Big Store" is approximately 50x funnier than the film. Even the footnotes are richly entertaining. ("What're YOU reading footnotes for? You waiting for a bus?") Somebody please put it back into print!

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Our Own Joe Adamson Gets a Shout-Out

Postby Gary Johnson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Here! Here! I second that Michael.

When I first got that book I would read entire chapters verbatim to my younger brother because I found it so witty.

It also helped me realize the direct influence that a comedian's stage work would have carrying over into their film careers and
it prompted me to re-evaluate the works of Keaton and Fields, among others. Thanks to Joe Adamson, when I now watch
NIGHT IN CASABLANCA I get misty-eyed when the plane crashes into the jail and Groucho casually tosses off, "Home Again".